Author Topic: Best Marlin Fishing boats in the Gulf, 1985  (Read 596 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Best Marlin Fishing boats in the Gulf, 1985
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:49:22 PM »
I scanned these in big so they are clear.  What these are are the Calcutta auction for the Poco bueno tournament in Port O.  It is a private, invitation only tourny, limited to a 100 boats.  The money pool consists of 2 parts, the entry fee pool and the Calcutta pool.

The entry fee pool is just that-entry fees minus expenses, and is paid to the winning boat.

The Calcutta is an auction.  Each boat is announced and sold.  This is the calcutta pool, and it is awarded to who ever bought the winning boat at auction.

What this means is that you can win the tourney, but only win $50,000 of a $500,000 dollar pot (It reached over a million sometimes).  Anyone can buy anyones boat, so the the big boys bid each other up.  It is a fun, and drunken, 5 hour dinner/auction.  Notice that the trend over the auction is up, although the order is random.  Mr Crown royal plays a part. I was second mate on Annie Fannie, #3 on the list)

http://www.lizking.com/poco.htm

(Big scans)

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 03:33:12 AM »
Too confusing.  So at the end of the tournament, someone can bid and buy your boat from you?  What if you dont want to sell your boat.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 03:57:09 AM »
Looks like a bunch of scribble. Where's the fish?!?:eek:

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 07:39:29 AM »
No, before the fishing begins the boats are auctioned.  You are not buying the boat, you are betting which boat will win the tourny.  I am going to scan in pictures today.