Author Topic: XM-8 rifle and XM-307 MG News Report  (Read 778 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
XM-8 rifle and XM-307 MG News Report
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2004, 02:05:59 AM »
I watched a special last year about a new gun being tested that looked interesting.  It had a built in electronic range finder and fired smart ammunition that could be set to detonate immediately behind your target so they couldn't hide behind terrain.

They demoed it firing through a window and detonating in the room, shredding a dummy that was hidden out of sight.  Same for a dummy behind a wall.  They even showed the rounds being set to fire through a wall and detonating afterwards so it would take out whatever is hiding.

Anyone familiar with this?  I know there's a lot of jokes about guns that use electricity, but if it gives a real combat advantage, it seems pretty useful.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 02:30:29 AM »
The XM307 looks to have a slow pace of fire.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 02:31:45 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I watched a special last year about a new gun being tested that looked interesting.  It had a built in electronic range finder and fired smart ammunition that could be set to detonate immediately behind your target so they couldn't hide behind terrain.

They demoed it firing through a window and detonating in the room, shredding a dummy that was hidden out of sight.  Same for a dummy behind a wall.  They even showed the rounds being set to fire through a wall and detonating afterwards so it would take out whatever is hiding.

Anyone familiar with this?  I know there's a lot of jokes about guns that use electricity, but if it gives a real combat advantage, it seems pretty useful.

I also saw that special. The electricty is only ofr programming a bullet to explode at so many meters. When the battery runs out you still have a fully operational machine gun.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2004, 10:22:44 AM »
Are the current M2s not using a kit to make the have fixed headspace so you can change the barrel faster?

As late as 1992 I don't think that was the case. Setting headspace and timing isn't all that hard, but I wonder if it had anything to do with that .50 that malfunctions in the Lynch ambush. Apparently there was no range time in country and you have to fire some rounds to see if any fine tuning is required with the backplate off.

Charon

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2004, 10:25:35 AM »
Chairboy, thet might be the OICW system I noted. Neat stuff, but the cost and practicality and reliability are questionable at this time, IMO.

Charon