Author Topic: Fighter Squadron  (Read 331 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Fighter Squadron
« on: March 17, 2000, 03:52:00 AM »
Salute Aces,

going through the threads I somewhere found a link to the "Fighter Squadron: Screaming Demons over Europe" homepage - hmm I thought a WW2 simulation I didn't hear of yet. So I went for a little research and found out that FS already came out spring '99. I went through my old computer magazines where I found a test that didn't quite pay tribute to FS: 56% out of 100% - not very good. I scanned the net and found quite interesting reviews, being contradictionary in their results. Some say it's an arcade simulation other say it has some real good physics (well leaving out spins & stalls that is) - but I don't trust magazines anyway becaus Jane's WW2 Fighters got much too much credit all over...

So has anybody made any experience with FS? How is the flightmodel? Did patching add some spinning & stalling? I am looking for a good offline WW2 sim and neither Janes's WW2F nor EAW are satisfactory... I really like the idea of the open plane editor - always wondered how a 109 would compare to a Tomcat...  

------------------
~Kirin~

JG2 "Richthofen"
Real men fly Radial!

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2000, 04:23:00 AM »
Heya Kirin,

Yes, patches and plane-packs added stalls, spins and new a/c. However, I gave up with it some time ago.
SDOE has nice graphics but poor plane set, low fps with more than 3/4 aircraft around, poor missions, silly AI.
Multiplayer gaming should be better, but I never tried it. AFAIK, players and third parties support is indeed strong.
Take a look here:
 http://www.3dgw.com/simfiles/scripts/files.php3?gameid=105

Gatt
4°Stormo CT

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 03-17-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2000, 06:01:00 AM »
These are some of the planes currently in FS:SDOE.

A-36A, P-51D, P-38J, F4U, B-17G

Mosquito FB.IV, Typhoon Ib, Spitfire Ia, Vb, IXe, Lancaster I

Fw 190A-4, A-8, D-9, Me 109E-4, F-4, G-6, K-4, Me 262A-1, Ju 88A-4, He 100D

A6M5

I-16

Plus many others in "development".  
 www.fightersquadron.com  is the "home" of FS:SDOE on the web. The game has a small but very active community of players/builders.

PLUS: Several WW1 planes are available for FS:SDOE too. Check out this site for details.

funked

Fighter Squadron
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2000, 06:09:00 AM »

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2000, 08:04:00 AM »
SDOE is in many ways a fine product, in many ways a flop.

It is based on Open-Plane, allowing player modification and creation of aircraft. Indeed, some very nice aircraft have been made (as well as some not-so-good ones). Flight model has also been tweaked by some players. The bad side is (at least when I stopped playing it) Parsoft had pretty much washed their hands of it, leaving their lead designer (Michael Harrison?) to crank out any mods on his own time.

In some ways it is a fun game, in some ways it is not. It depends on what you like to do. IMHO it is a perfect game for anyone who wants to try their hand at designing aircraft. This is not an easy thing to do, but it is possible, and the tools are provided. Some duelers may like to fly these craft too, but it is not an online competitor to any of the 3-4 big players in the field.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
IMHO, SDOE has the best multiplay of the boxed sims.  The mission editor and good multiplay engine offers excellent possibilities for inter squad tournaments.  There was a 4vs4 Tournament last fall, and it really was a blast  

This said, I have to admit there are a few bugs in the multiplay. But there is constant work going on to find solutions to them.

I'm really amazed why SDOE is not regarded too highly among the sim community, if it is known at all.  It really is a far better game than most people think.  

One big reason might be the state of the game right after release. I don't regard a**ivision very highly, mostly because they completely gave up the game after publishing. Michael Harrison has been very loyal to the SDOE community and helped them learn Openplane. I haven't seen or heard of a more honest and respectable man as MH in the whole gaming community.

SDOE offers almost endless possibilities in creating objects and vehicles to the game. I can simply watch in amazement how these guys come up with these things!  Do you know another sim where you can build your own helicopter!?  

There is a plane building contest going on right now, it will end in a few weeks.  Can't wait to get to fly the planes, they look really awesome!

I highly recommend trying SDOE out!

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2000, 08:37:00 AM »
Oh yeah, one more thing:

10+ player multiplay is no problem for SDOE.  Last sunday I had several 7vs7 battles.  Furballing in my 190 A-3 against Spit9's in the best clouds of the sim-industry, not bad  

If I'm not totally mistaken, the limit for the multiplay engine is 32 players.  If your connection and computer can handle the data and all the planes on the screen, it should work fine  

AI planes do drop FPS quite a lot sometimes, as do the large bombers.  But when there's only human controlled fighters in the game, there shouldnt be any trouble with FPS.
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2000, 05:50:00 PM »
Hey kirin - I can let you have my copy (only used once!) at a VERY reasonable price

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2000, 06:02:00 PM »
Hey Lynx,

sounds nice, what ya want for it? Yeah, if anyone doesn't need his copy of SDOE anymore feel free to make me an offer...   - preferably in Europe, best in Switzerland...

Lynx - UK sound quite good...  

------------------
~Kirin~

JG2 "Richthofen"
Real men fly Radial!

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2000, 06:16:00 AM »
Kirin,

Dont you think you guys better check with France and see if this kind of transaction is allowed? hehee

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2000, 06:50:00 AM »
I saw a copy in the UK for £9.99 ($13-$14). Try www.gameplay.com  they probably have it for about that price - it's based in the UK so shipping shouldn't be to much.  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Fighter Squadron
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2000, 03:53:00 AM »
The magic multiplayer number for SDOE is 28 iirc.