Author Topic: Question about Collisions...  (Read 675 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Question about Collisions...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 08:30:42 PM »
Originally posted by Mak333
Ouch......

Solution: take collisions off til it is properly modelled?

Nothing is improperly modelled.  Its real simple....if you avoid on your end you dont take damage.

Get it?

Offline Muddie

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 03:27:04 PM »
Superconductor dude, superconductor ;)

Originally posted by hitech
Kaz: I wish light travled faster also.

HiTech

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 01:05:34 AM »
I take issue with the way collision damage is modelled with this analogy:

On my FE I avoid someone's bullets fired at me but on his FE he hits me.  Applying the collision model would mean that I don't take damage.

Think about it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 02:08:58 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
collisions were off, and it is open season for the HO types because they can attack full bore without fear of dying from damage with collisions off.

alot of the all out HOing is now reduced once collisions were turned back on, people try to dodge instead of HO for fear they might ram the other plane.

although it  isn't modeled as one would hope, it still holds its purpose for detracting people from trying to play Aces Joust! for this sole reason I like collisions turned on........as I think most others probably do as well.  Also it is modeled as best as it can be given the nature of the internet.

Yea, collisions on = better fights, plain and simple.

I hate to collide or get rammed as much as the next guy, but if it makes real fighter pilots out of the plethora of HO artists, eventually, it's worth the short-term pain for the long-term gain in 'fun factor'.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 09:46:10 AM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako

On my FE I avoid someone's bullets fired at me but on his FE he hits me.  Applying the collision model would mean that I don't take damage.

Think about it.

Yea... but to apply the bullet damage model to the collision problem means you'd have situations where you are zipping merrily along, and some enemy plane dives through a spot 300 yards behind you.  Then your tail falls off, and you are like "WTF?".. Oh, it was someone from Nigeria playing on a 14.4 modem.

The way they have it set up is the best way possible, in my opinion.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 09:52:47 AM »

Think about it.

The same logic holds true ... your just looking at it from the wrong end of the equation.

Think about it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 12:00:08 PM »
BlueMako your missing the point.

Gunnery & collisions are 2 seperate factors that can damage your plane. They work differently.  You can not tie them together.

while the result may be the same, you can not look at gunnery with the same system you look at collisions.

You can not apply the collision model to gunnery.

The collsion model is the way it has to be. Partly as a result of net lag that can not be elminated.

The gunnery model is the way it has to be, partly to eleminate the results of net lag.

See the difference?

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »

Think about it.

You can dodge a bullet?  From what I understand, if I see a hit, I get a hit.  It doesn't matter what the other guy sees, he takes the damage in the place I hit him.

Since I am not good at dodging bullets, I think this works quite well.  You need to face reality, there will always be lag (at least until HT figures out this speed of light thing) and two on-line players will never see the exact same thing in real time.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force