Author Topic: Hog Heaven  (Read 185 times)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Hog Heaven
« on: February 14, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Ok.  This one is for all you F4U-1C/D Corsair "Hog" drivers out there.  Share you're best single sortie story of driving that beast.

Mine was about a week ago.  I was flying the C-model.  We'd been getting bounced pretty good at our base and I finally got the upper hand and shot down an ME109 (Tom666).  Decided to make hay and exit the area before they all came storming back.  Enroute to next nme base I stumbled on a B17.  We were not quite co-alt. but I had the perfect 35 degree head on angle shot.  One, long solid burst from 1.0D and closing sawed his wing off.  I never took a ping.  Continuing on I saw a smoking P-38 trying to rtb.  I finished him off before he knew I was even there.  Then, proceeded to flame his buddy trying to rescue him.  I RTB'd at a remote based to rearm and fuel and proceed along the coast and encountered nme CV aircraft.  There, I flamed 4 Zero's in succession (mostly HO deflection snapshots) before I bought the farm.  Total kills for that single sortie was 8.  My personal best.

What's yer best single sortie in a hog??

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Hog Heaven
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Do you have your helmet on?   Prepare, you are about to be flamed  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Hog Heaven
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2001, 04:33:00 PM »
One, long solid burst from 1.0D and closing sawed his wing off

Lier. 1.0k hits are impossible.

<G>

My personal best sortie in Chog was back on tour2, when I still had no rudder pedals. Got 7 kills. of course I dont remember many details about it, it was almost one year ago.

bertie

Hog Heaven
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by RAM:
Lier. 1.0k hits are impossible.

1.0k easy in chog (and besides he said 1.0k and closing).  I have been pinged many times by chogs at 1.2k and over...

But we digress.  I have a few 5+ kill sorties in chog, mainly against low and slow f6's and spits...  I dont usually resort to HOing though as I like turn fighting the hogs.  This works well as most people dont expect it and within a turn or two you can usually get the nose on them which is (as everyone knows) the end of the fight...

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Hog Heaven
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
RAM, I beg to differ on the 1.0D hits.  That's at the point I fired.  The nme aircraft and I are approaching one another so the distance is closing quickly since we're almost head on.  By the time the shells get there they may have only travelled 800 yds or so.  My gun convergence is set at 400 yds.  Soooooooo, at 800 yds my bullets will have crossed paths due to convergence but be impacting the nme aircraft at approximately the span between my guns.  And don't forget, I continued to fire as I closed to about 600d  :-)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Hog Heaven
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
Spitlead the 1.0K comment was tongue in cheek. I know that 1.0K hits with Hispanos are way more than possible, and only a bit less than usual.

But when we had a thread some time ago about hispanos and their 1.0k kills, there were a lot of people saying that 1.0K kills are not possible in AH  

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Hog Heaven
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
No, folks said they were possible, just not common.

That's still the case.

------------------
Lephturn - Aces High Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome!

"Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know." - Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne. (1533–1592)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Hog Heaven
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
RAM - it woulda helped if I saw the tongue in cheek in your grinning smiley face :-)
hmmm, guess they need another icon for that...

I only fire from 1.0d+ when I'm going HO.  This accounts for closing speeds and net lag. However, if I'm REALLY frustrated trying to chase somebody down, I'm in no immediate danger and the guy I'm chasing is flying straight and level I'll give him a good long blast.  Ya just never know where that one (1) ping will land :-)