Author Topic: Something to warm your heart  (Read 176 times)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Something to warm your heart
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:47:43 AM »
Here's something to make ya feel good. Some very good friends of mine are doing something I personally, at this time, couldn't do:

18 months ago they sold almost everything they owned and went to work on a Mercy Ship. This particular ship they were assigned to sails all over the world giving medical aid to the poor. For the past 8-10 months they've been mostly in the Carribean and South/ Latin American countries.

What they walked away from: he was a manager/ designer for a large software company; she: a captain for the Richmond Fire/ EMT Department. Don was an avid sail palne enthusiast/ pilot/ instructor. They sold a very nice house in the Sugarland area, his new sailplane, beemers, trucks. Gave away most of their clothing and many other possessions. Sure, they're not destitute: they put a lot of money in a bank, but they must pay for much of their expenses to do this. They don't recieve a salry, and it cost them around 24K/ yr, each.

Take time to look at their web site and the photos. Really cool!

carribean mercy ships

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:49:20 AM »
Thats really noble of them.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 09:54:10 AM »
Incredible.  Thank goodness for people like that.

Not in the cards for me though I'm afraid.  Just started my family.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 10:12:14 AM »
I could do all of that EXCEPT giving up my carpeted garage. Thats where I draw the line!

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 10:27:51 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I could do all of that EXCEPT giving up my carpeted garage. Thats where I draw the line!

LOLOL, you really have a carpeted garage?!? I dunno if I could give that up, either:D   Anyway, I just wanted to give these people and this org. a plug. I know most people, myself included, aren't in a position to do what the're doing.