Author Topic: Why the squad rotation thing?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
Why the squad rotation thing?
« on: December 01, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
Whats up with all these squads rotating from country to country each tour? Based on our current player base, it throws play balance way off. Not enough of us yet IMHO. Last month, the AK's and TWC rotated out of Knightland, thats around 30 people, sheesh. This next tour, The MOL are rotating out. Thats 28 pilots! I remember rotating in Warbirds but it didn't seem to have such an affect as it does here.

Plus, its kinda difficult to wing with guys who made a living for a month shootin' me in the arse  

------------------
Apache
=XO= VMF-323 Death Rattlers
VMF 323 Death Rattlers Web Site

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, I see nothing wrong with squads rotating, but I must admit that when our squad tried it, we got tired of always feeling like Nomads. We finally decided to settle in Knitland, and we've been happy there.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
No, don't get me wrong. I think there is nothing wrong with it either....when the player base is larger. It just seems to have a huge affect on us here right now. Could just be me tho.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
JG2 rotated to Knightland.  In the end we had 16 remaining members out of 32! The hard core squad member stuck which resulted in an intense group of pilots.

IMHO, flying for the Rooks was good for the squad.  Plus my experiences flying with the Rooks was incredible.  They were fun to fly with!  

Out of the core JG2, three other squads were created, which in itself is good for AH.  We think of them as our "offspring"   Who's your daddy!!!!    
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2000, 12:03:00 PM »

Who's your daddy!!!![/B]

*I`M* YOUR DADDY!!!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
 I'm not a spokesperson for the squad so I'll only speak for myself. I for one like the change and having a chance to fly with folks that in the previous month(s) I'd only exchanged "lead" with.
 In a "MA" environment I personally have a hard time aligning myself to any country to be honest. Its the people I align myself with. Not an country icon nor any one particular plane. Variety is my true preference.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2000, 12:17:00 PM »
Hehe, Weazels right, he's our daddy!  

BTW, when JG2 had 58 pilots in our squadron, we NEVER had more than 12 in the air at any given time. So, I don't see it as a major 'Swing' factor for a single squad.  I've sampled AH at (these times are PST) 1am, 5am,12pm, 4pm, 8pm, basically around the clock, and one thing that is consistent is the inconsistency of who has the numbers.  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by weazel:

*I`M* YOUR DADDY!!!

LOL !

So, Ripsnort would be our MUM ?  

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2000, 02:06:00 PM »
Good points all. I agree Westy, country alignment is less important to me than the personal friendships. Guess that is my hidden agenda for this thread. I had to shoot down ammo not too long ago and I actually felt bad about it. Although I don't know him other than online, he lives not to far from me, we have winged together not only in the MA but in the scenarios too. Felt really odd seeing "You shot down ammo"

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2000, 11:17:00 PM »
I have flown other sims where the majority of players stuck to one country/team for years!  I find rotation a great way to gain friendships and to reduce animosity +)

As far as a play imbalance goes, I really don't see it.
The numbers of players on any one team bounce around soooo much in AH from hour to hour even.  Something I've not seen in other sims.  The rotation I think helps keep one team from always dominating based on #'s.  The only time I could see it being a problem is if everyone just takes one skip left at the same time +)

AKSKurj

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2000, 01:01:00 AM »
I'm a Bish. Always been a Bish. Always will be a Bish. Dunno why.. most of the time we're a hopeless buncha maroons runnin around tippin windmills. Or tryin to.

I find it easier to work with and trust guys and squads I know... and always wince when I wind up shootin down somebody that last week was clearin my six. And; I find it hard to justify savin somebodys butt when that somebody last week was tryin to kill me.

I like things uncomplicated and simple I guess... and since we bishops are about as simple-minded as they come; I'm right at home here.  

If the 13th TAS rotates; I'll prolly stay in Bishland and take another LOA. Tain't no biggie... I hear no matter where yah go the enemy's planes are red. It might be nice to rotate.. but I think I'll forgo the pleasure.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2000, 01:10:00 AM »
i am a Knight, have always been a Knight, will always be a Knight. I started in beta one as a Knight, thats the team I was put on when I first flew for the first time.

I started the squad THUNDER BIRDS and it will remain in Knight land. dont like shooting down people who last week were saveing my butt, but if thats what happens, oh well.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2000, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm a gold, always was a gold, always will be a gold (except for short vacations).  The nasty barnies in purklandia, the hopelessly (and foolishly) optimistic kermits in greenland, and the amazingly clueless reds in rednewbieland will forever be my opponents.

I'm working on an unofficial patch for AH that will turn all green icons to gold, and all red icons to a mix of green, purk, as well as red.  

Er, just kidding.  Patching AH is forbidden by the license IIRC.  But I'll PRETEND that green is gold, red is dweeb, and purk is too scared to show up.  Yea, that will work  

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.