Author Topic: Post your stick set up and help others understand  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Post your stick set up and help others understand
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2002, 01:27:00 PM »
Hey, it's not a matter of what the "right" way is to set up your stick or keys.  The trick is to know how to change and tweak the setup options to customise it for whatever is right FOR YOU.  That will be a bit different for just about everybody.

The important point is to learn how to adjust the controls for your own preferences.  Once you do that, it's just a matter of experimenting and tweaking until you find what works best.  :)

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2002, 03:03:00 PM »
ZXMaw- I'll concede that it may be that my stick and approach to flying may mean that that is what works best for me, not everybody.  Anyway, I'm sure this thread will help many players.  <S>

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2002, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by ZXMAW:
Blue Mako and Majic, I totaly disagree with you both. Not the part where you say it works fine for you but the part where you say in different word,  get used to it. Some people like myself when I first started, had extream nose bounce. The only thing that helped me was to move the deadband and damping (mostly the damping up).

Feel free to disagree.   :)

To me, having to turn the deadband and damping up to control nose bounce indicates that you were having trouble with over controlling: chasing the nose movement with your stick ---> nose bouncing.  This is a real life phenomena called Pilot Induced Oscillation, as the aircraft starts responding to your input you are already applying more control (or applying too much control in the first place) that leads to overshooting the desired position and then you repeat it in the other direction too(Good to see AH is accurate enough to give this effect!).  Turning up your deadband and damping makes your control of the aircraft easier but it also makes the aircraft respond like a wet sponge.  That's why I recommended not to up these settings too much.  Also, constantly changing your settings means you are having to relearn how to handle your controls all the time, IMO not a good thing.

Anyway, as Lephturn said, you need to find a balance between getting the most responsive setup and playability.  I was fortunate that it came fairly quickly for me in the manner I described.  Hopefully everyone else can find their ideal setup too.  Good idea to start this thread, it's a good discussion.    :cool:

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Blue Mako ]

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2002, 05:55:00 AM »
Everthing at the top. Except dead/damp.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Nath[BDP] ]
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2002, 06:58:00 AM »
Are your deadband/damping at the very bottom, or close Nath?

Also, what sort of controls are you using for that setup?

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2002, 09:43:00 AM »
Dead/damp at bottom.

USB CH Hotas. (568 Combastick)

Don't like any resistance.

(Used same setup with saitek twisty stick)

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Nath[BDP] ]
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year