Author Topic: Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?  (Read 575 times)

sestreet

Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« on: July 30, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
Anyone know ISBN numbers or full details for any good Air Combat books?
I hear Shaws Air Combat mentioned frequently on these pages.
Perhaps there are some comprehensive web pages (I've tried most linked through AH)?
Thanks

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve:
Anyone know ISBN numbers or full details for any good Air Combat books?
I hear Shaws Air Combat mentioned frequently on these pages.
Perhaps there are some comprehensive web pages (I've tried most linked through AH)?
Thanks

Sorry I don't have it handy here at work. If no one replies before I get home I'll post it no prob.

You should be able to get it at a major bookseller like BN or Amazon. Do a search there. It runs in the $30 range.

Great book. Its the B*I*B*L*E of ACM. All the manuevers you hear talked about are discussed in great detail. Some sections are very technical and can be hard reading but its the book to have if you're serious about getting better at flight sims.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline elstevie

• Copper Member
      •  http://stevenewing_1.tripod.com/bf109/
Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
isbn is      087021059-9  ;)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
My copy should be here tomorrow!  It's on the way from amazon, only $25 USD before shipping, which wasn't bad because I got a few DVDs as well.  Can't wait to get into this book!   :)

Modern Air Combat (Salamander books, I think) has a decent section on ACM, but it's not a whole book devoted to the tactics, BFM, and ACM like Shaw's is.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
You will not be disappointed with Shaw.  I've had to read, re-read, and read again different portions of it.  You'll have to ignore the stuff around missile parameters etc.  Best to go through the whole thing, then go back and focus on particular issues.

As an F-16 pilot friend of mine says, "Great, now any ol' pilot in a 3rd world country can learn how to fight me better."
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Shaws Air Combat - ISBN?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
Shaw's book is good, but is more pointed towards the kerosene burners.  The earlier variant of what he wrote again, is better for use in here.  But, I do have a copy of Shaw's book, and it can be translated here if you use your head.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.