Author Topic: Squad ranking is it fair?  (Read 592 times)

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
Squad ranking is it fair?
« on: December 09, 2004, 04:18:55 AM »
Why is it we have so many top ranked squads that according to the Squad Ranking Page have one maybe two players from the whole roster even flying in that tour. I have seen many top ranked squads with one player that has kills many times with less than 10 kills and alot of the time with less than 15 minutes flying time.

Talk about gaming the game!

If you have 5 people on the squad all those zeros need to be figured in the calculations, After all isn't this a SQUAD ranking.
Kind of pisses me off to see all these so called top 100 squads with 1 guy listed on the roster he ups 1 or 2 flights logs 7 minutes and his whole damn squad gets in the number 1 slot.

What about the squads that no longetr exist? Kick the dang squads out of a slot and give it to an active squad.

If your going to have squad ranking why not rank the squad instead of some gaming dweeb.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 05:58:14 AM »
OR

do away with all the ranking and point system, it doesn't mean doodly anyway :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 07:32:25 AM »
ranks and points do count if u got a good rank no dweeb can take a TG from u and points keep all the dweebs from flyin 262s all the time.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 07:37:44 AM »
Any dweeb can get good rank with a bit of practise.

Most of us would rather be out fighting someone.

Ignore rank & score, gives ya ulcers & messes with your head. Proves NOTHING.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
Your missing the point here
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:58 AM »
This is not about my rank. This is about squad ranks.

My questions are:

_How does a "Squad" stay in the top spot based on 1 or 2 players when 90+% of the squad members show absoulutley no stats for a tour?

_How does a squad get such a high rank based on 1 or two players with a total flying time of about 23 minutes and I think 3 or 4 flights?
Again most the squad shows zeros in every catagegory.

My point is if I can make it more clear "A squad rank should be based in part on a "SQUADS" participation not their non-participation.

I am an XO in the 444th Air Mafia and yes as small part of our ranking and promotion process we do use rank each month as an indication of performance but more so we use participation as an important critieria.

_I also want to know why disbanded squads still fill rank slots in squad ranking?

I don't know how to clarify it anymore. The fact is,  yes I would like a good rank,  I try to get my rank better each tour, but this is about squads.  I am saying the squads rank should be averaged between the players on the roster in that squad, and yes you average in the zeros for non-participants.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 10:49:04 AM »
1. Members who do not play are not counted in the squad score.

2. Score is not simply based on time played.

3. Disbanded squads who played in the tour are scored up to the time they disband. They will not show the next tour.

HiTech

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 10:52:21 AM »
took a look at the squad rank page and found it actually shows the CT ranks when you first look at it. If you change the tour, then change it back to the current tour. It shows a more correct ranking order.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »
yeah, you might be looking at the CT squads.

always hit the "get scores" before looking at them to analyze.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 03:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
1. Members who do not play are not counted in the squad score.

2. Score is not simply based on time played.

3. Disbanded squads who played in the tour are scored up to the time they disband. They will not show the next tour.

HiTech

Does that mean that the zero they may have for that month is not averaged in the overall total or is a zero ranking that month totally ignored?

This is the main point of my question?

And if it is ignored why is it ignored if this is a Squad  ie. everybody calculation.

I went back and looked at the squad rank page again and I may have looked at the CT tour but even if I did the same math probably applies in there.

I'm not trying to get anyones panies in a wad. It just doesn't seem fair to look at a Squad no matter what tour you are looking at where the Squad has 1 participant and several others with no score and they are ranked as a squad basically on an individuals rank.

If a squad is disbanded why not remove from the rank list. Look at  several tours at the list of disbanded squads. Why do they continue to get that spot if they are no longer a squad?

Take a look back at the previous tours many time there is from 10-15+ % of the rank given to disbanded squads. Look at little closer and a fair percentage of these are by the same people. There is almost a rotation between certain players. No accusations here but if you get out a tally sheet write down names that appear by disbanded squads and out beside it put a check mark there are certain names that pop up over and over.

If they are no longer a squad why are they filling a slot as a squad?

Offline Speznaz

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.ticinoslot.com
Re: Squad ranking is it fair?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 08:41:16 AM »
Originally posted by moto61
I have seen many top ranked squads with one player that has kills many times with less than 10 kills and alot of the time with less than 15 minutes flying time.

I agree Moto61

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 09:18:06 AM »
moto: First if a squad disbands after a tour is over,are you saying we should then remove that squad from a past tour?

2nd there are inactive players in squads who might have deleted there accounts. Is it realy such a big deal to not force people to remove them from their roster if they are not flying?

And to answere your question only poeple who fly are used in the squad averages.

It will remain this way, under your argument we should realy force every one to have there score divided by 32 instead of the number of squad memebers.

HiTech

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
I understand the penalty
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 08:23:12 PM »
I understand the penalty that averaging in non-playing players has. I come from a large squad and life does get in the way of AH. So I have thought about what the absentees would do to our squad, but ya know as long as it is fair across the board I can deal with it. What I don't understand is the bonus for a so called squad that has 1 player out of several fly for 15 minutes get 3-4 kills disband the squad and and get a top spot squad ranking.

-To answer your question I do not believe a disbanded squad has any place on squad ranking page.

I don't yet know what benefit there is by starting a squad then disbanding it, but there must be a way to game the game because if you will take the time to tally up the COs of the disbanded squads for say six months, there are several names that are regularly starting and then disbanding a squads sometimes with the squad being in existense I guess a few minutes.

I do think it is a big deal to award a slot for rank for a disbanded squad, especially if the 8-20 squad slots would move my squad up. It is kind of like one of those raffle drawings "must be present to get the prize", I really see no difference here.

I guess I'm a fair freek, I like a level playing field and I don't see it here. If you can't see the worth in the system I guess I shouldn't look for it either.

Thats my last response about this.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
only poeple who fly are used in the squad averages.

good info
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit