Author Topic: please advise  (Read 288 times)

Offline victor

• Zinc Member
please advise
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
have order new parts for comp.
AMD64 754 SOCKET
ASUS A8V MOBO
120 GB HD
NVIDIA 6800 GT
AUDIGY 7.1 SOUND CARD
400W POWER SUPPLY
However where i live dosnt have cable,dsl  we can only have dial up or  sattilite for another 6 months to a year should i saved my money til then?
Also is satelite good for gaming?
thnks for your help i'm hemorraging money and wife ack closing in fast even though i promised her she could play for 1-2 hrs. a day but not use my perks up

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: please advise
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:43:39 PM »
Originally posted by victor
have order new parts for comp.
AMD64 754 SOCKET
ASUS A8V MOBO
120 GB HD
NVIDIA 6800 GT
AUDIGY 7.1 SOUND CARD
400W POWER SUPPLY
However where i live dosnt have cable,dsl  we can only have dial up or  sattilite for another 6 months to a year should i saved my money til then?
Also is satelite good for gaming?
thnks for your help i'm hemorraging money and wife ack closing in fast even though i promised her she could play for 1-2 hrs. a day but not use my perks up

I'd bump power supply to 480 or more....as for no DSL etc that really isnt a huge deal.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
please advise
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 01:08:42 PM »
You may want to consider the 3000+ Winchester core (90nm) which is a socket 939 cpu.   It is by far the best Bang for the buck for Athlon 64's. It comes stock at 1.8GHz HTT but can easilly overclock to 2.4-2.6GHz putting it on par with a 4000+ (Old FX53) and the new FX55's which are $700+ CPU's.

The 3000+ Winchester reaches the same overclocks as the 3500+ Winchester can overclock. Following is a nice review on the new 3000+/3200+/3500+ Winchester core (90nm S939) CPU's that shows overclocking potential also.

You can get a retail 3000+ w/HSF Winchester core S939 for around $175, pair that with an ABIT AV8 mobo for $110 and you have a great stock setup that has the best overclocking potential out there.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipset...doc.aspx?i=2242
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 01:12:10 PM by richard_rd »

Offline victor

• Zinc Member
please advise
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 01:22:02 PM »
thanks richard and humble appreciate the advice will check it out my friend owns the comp. store so i still have time to change order if needed

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
please advise
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »
Satellite internet connection is terrible for gaming.  You would be better off with a regular analog modem on the phone line.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
please advise
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 08:24:34 AM »
You know victor, AH is available on CD through HTC I think.   You could request one now and have it by the time your comp is set up and working, and then you'd only have to DL the latest update; not the whole game.

Would save lots of download time on a 56K...

Offline victor

• Zinc Member
please advise
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks OBOE
just went to kinkos and  d/l ah2 burned copy went home and am trying now i keep having texture probs. on this old system though,however fr about 45 consistently but can still see through the proximal terrain and see the distal terrain ,cant figure how to snapshot and post pic in forum or i could show you what i,m dealing with.my current system is

intel p-4 1.8
gf4 mx
512 ram
sb live
saitekx45

thnks Vic

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
please advise
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 12:14:30 PM »
Originally posted by victor
thanks richard and humble appreciate the advice will check it out my friend owns the comp. store so i still have time to change order if needed

If your interested in overclocking I'd get a DFI lanparty board...

again thats a 754 board...I'm not an expert on the various +/- of the 939/754 socket. I do know that the DFI lanparty is best OC board out for the athlon 64 as of now. To me power is a bigger issue. Thr latest GPU's are all power hungry 400W will barely cut it...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
please advise
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 01:13:30 PM »
Victor with your old video card you will probably need the latest video drivers.  Go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers and see how they work for you.  You might see a slight framerate drop but the image quality should go back to normal unless there is a problem elsewhere.  Your current system meets the minimum game requirements so it should run ok without texture or other image quality problems.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline victor

• Zinc Member
please advise
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 02:56:22 PM »
will try new drivers have oc'd video card from 278 mhz to 345mhz fr improved but not texture probs also run all sliders to performance

Vic