Author Topic: Pros And Cons Of The Fighters In AH  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
Pros And Cons Of The Fighters In AH
« on: January 03, 2000, 11:06:00 PM »
Could someone please give me the pros and cons of each fighter in Aces High?  There are no description files written as of yet for them.

------------------
mp-ten
2nd Lt. 352nd Fighter Group

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2000, 05:21:00 AM »
Check out the Aircraft pages on our squad website for a comparision of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the AH aircraft.

WARNING:  ALL THIS INFORMATION MAY SOON BE OBSOLETE DUE TO FLIGHT MODEL REVISIONS.  I'LL BE CHECKING FLIGHT MODELS ON A REGULAR BASIS TO TRY TO KEEP THESE PAGES CURRENT.

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

Mr.ED

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2000, 06:41:00 AM »
The Pro is when the CON is at your 12
The CON is when when the CON is on your 6!

Mr.ED
Pony Driver
Knight

combat23

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »
lol Mr ED. When your new like me you sure seem to find more "Cons" Than Pro!

Had a great time last nite.

See ya all on line

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2000, 11:46:00 AM »
Speaking as a "professional target"   The best advice i can give you is to pick one plane and stick with it till you can kill folks once in awhile.

which plane you pick is the question...All of them are brutal in the right hands..i'd stay away from the 109 because of low ammo load and difficult hi speed handling...the hog since it's poor visions fields effects "SA" and "finesse" handling requirements. The spit and pony are the two easiest to fly (IMHO) but niki is a great gun platform. My dark horse...unless you have nose bounce with it...is the C 205...great ammo load w hi leathality good speed and climb with excellent handling...not as easy to fly as others but good place to learn ACM's.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Mr.ED

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2000, 09:31:00 AM »
Humble, Dude you crack me up.

All sound advice, (except maybe the Pony being easy to fly)

Rendar, what you need to do is find out which flying style you use, then take the plane that have the most pro's.

Fast planes (51,190,N1K1) dont turn worth a dang. Slower planes (109,Spit) trun a lot better, but compress (control lock up) after about 300 knots.
 http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/

This link is about the best I've found for plane comparisons. Yeah it's for WB, but its some dang good info.

Mr.ED
Pony Pilot
Knight

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »

Fast planes (51,190,N1K1) dont turn worth a dang. Slower planes (109,Spit) trun a lot better, but compress (control lock up) after about 300 knots.

Well, dunno if I would call the Nik a fast plane, at least here in Aces High.  Its more of a turner here than it is an E fiter like the stang.  I would put the Nik in the same category as the 109 and spit rather than with the 51 and 190.

-Ding

TT

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
  In truth there isnt much difference in FM,s between the planes right now. There all to easy to fly. But knowing the people that are building this thing, that is going to change. I suggest you fly the spit until you can have a 4 or 5 kill sorti consistantly. When they change the FM,s the spit shouldnt change that much. It was easy to fly in RL.

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2000, 01:44:00 PM »
Unprofessional opinion mode:

There are planes that are better fast:

P51
F4U
Fw190
La5FN

There are planes that are better slow:

Bf109
Spitfire

There are planes that play either way, but are also limited in some manner at either extreme:

N1K2J
C205V

Personal Takes:

P51
Best bet is to use its speed and zoom to gain and keep alt advantage. In a furball keep it fast and extend (fancy word for "run screaming like a girl") when cons start dropping on your 6. It rolls well at speed, and this can be used against planes that get sloppy at high speed. Keep fight vertical as long as possible, then extend when advantage is lost. 6x50 hurts!

F4U
Very similar to P51, though it rolls faster at speed and climbs slowly. Excellent zoom characteristics, so go for the high speed pass with a low-G climb for alt. Slow accleration means death to an F4U caught low and slow.

Fw190
Best at speed, the 190 can give a good account of itself due to hard-hitting guns and great roll-rate and great initial turn speed. Every effort should be made to keep speed up, as once slowed the turnrate is galacial. This one is used best in slashing attacks and quick egress.

La5FN
The La5FN can easily handle any of the above mentioned aircraft with ease at their own game, it's sole limitation being the relatively light armament. The 2 cannons are good, but you need to be close. An La5FN on your tail is a Mustang's nightmare.

Bf109-G10
Nothing accelerates faster, which is why it's a good strategy to slow a fight down with most opponents. Once their energy is bled away you can climb above them and kill them. Be wary of control lock-up at speed, because it can get out of control in a hurry. Diving a 109 for long is therefore a bad idea. The worst thing about the 109 is the light ammo load and range.

Spitfire MkIX
As near a training craft as one can get in AH. It has good guns, good speed, nothing outturns it (though C205V is close), climbs great... it is probably the easiest plane in which to be successful. Light fuel load hampers it somewhat, and blackouts occur very quickly, but when flown properly it is a tough bird to beat.

N1K2J
Easily the greatest firepower carried in the game, combined with a good climb and turn performance. It is a little slow, so you don't get to choose when the fight begins or ends in most cases. Anyone opting for an HO against a Nikki asking for it.

C205V
A very balanced plane. It does nothing to the extreme, but is not bad at anything. You can fly this one either fast or slow and do well. It sports a good punch and carries a load of ammo. It handles well at any altitude.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
Dol, c.205 is not balanced, it is a pure turn fighter. It can do a 360' turn faster than any other plane in the game right now, only the spitfire can keep up to it.
 The La-5FN is more of a cross between a B&Z and E-fighter. It is a direct competitor to the Me-109 and that is what it was designed to kill. It has comparable climb to 109 and can out turn it. It does not however out-dive or accelerate it. It's performance is very poor above 18k for turning. Beware the La-5FN that drags you down to it's level! The La-5 is not poorly armed, I am at a loss how people think this. it has 2 20mm cannons onboard, but also has 400 rounds. Every snapshot or round that hits is likely to cause damage and planes go down on average with less than 40 rds fired in the hands of a good pilot. the only thing it lacks is ability to make good deflection shots, it's high nose and the poor velocity of the SHvak cannons make it difficult to shoot at planes when pulling over 4G.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
Sorrow-

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree only in that it can be successfully used as an E fighter too. It has a good zoom, good acceleration, and good climb. When I fight Nikki's and Spits, I keep speed up and go for alt. When I fight 'stangs or 109's I turn... you get the idea.   For that reason I think it flies well either way. And again, my opinion.

TT

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2000, 10:14:00 PM »
 Got to go with dolo on 205.

"Run screaming like a girl" . Perfect.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2000, 07:51:00 PM »
Hmm, yes I did some E fighting last night with it (mostly against hangtime). It truly does do a nice job. I think it gains a great amount of points here because though it has a low top end (And IMO it's a pretty poor accelerator) it climbs right back up to alt quickly. And damn does it hold E well!

Something else I noticed; when I first started flying this plane I thought it very twitchy and bouncy but now that I have learned a lighter hand my god, this plane is responsive!!! I almost never miss a kill in it, jinking planes are just a matter of a light touch to line up and a quick burst.
The one drawback I found was it's bad 6 view. Ask Hangtime he knew how to use it against me. That seat literally blocks the whole lower half of the plane. If you know that you can sneak up low 6 very easily against it while he's diving or climbing.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2000, 04:19:00 AM »
Got to agree with you, 205 is an awesome fighter. (At least in .46.) I flew it way back when it was first released, but it was too bouncy and sort of hard to see out of.  Tonight I decided to take it for a test drive, and was rewarded with a 3 kill 2 assist sortie.    (It is kind of hard to see out of though, lots of blind spots.)  What I found worked best was to try to get someone to climb with it, then loop over the top and catch them in a stall.  The 205 seems to be a very good vertical fighter.

Just my .02.