Author Topic: Suggestion for flap bug  (Read 259 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion for flap bug
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:15:52 PM »
The bug: If you have flaps down, and one is destroyed/shot off, it will act as if it's still there, and will remain at whatever state it was when it was blown off, regardless of speed.

I.E. You're in a ki84 and you are at about 150 with 2 notches of flaps out, and you lose one flap. If you nose down to run the other flap retracts, but the MISSING flap does not, sending you into uncontrolable rotations if you don't fly slow enough to keep the remaining flaps exactly like they were when you lost one.

This bug has been around for many versions. I wonder if HTC is simply trying to find the best way to deal with it.

The suggestion: If you lose a part that retracts and/or affects drag and lift (any gear, flaps, dive flaps, dive brakes) simply have the destroyed item RETRACT and stay there.

From my observations when a flap is shot off it merely is no longer shown. It is still there, locked into place, but it is not displayed. So simply have all parts that are NOT being displayed revert to their default (retracted) positions. It is slightly redundant, but it WOULD fix the problem of the flap bug.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Suggestion for flap bug
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »
I posted a thread about this a week or two ago here.  It's extremely annoying, and I asked HT about it in the MA and I think he said it might not be a bug.  Personally, I think if the damaged flap is staying out, it would be good to actually see the damage.  If it's not displayed but is still affecting flight as though it were deployed, it just *seems* too much like a bug.

I'm hoping it'll be addressed one way or the other sometime, but as I really love my slow-speed stall fighting in the ki84, I'm hoping even more when they're destroyed they'll revert to being not deployed. :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion for flap bug
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 02:03:14 PM »
It's one thing to sustain damage and have the flap JAM, which I could understand. But when it's blown OFF it stops creating lift. It's no longer present, thus the effect should stop.

It's a bug.

Plus if you jammed a flap then exceeded the speed limit, it should rip off (thus also no longer providing left).

At any rate, there's no way this is based on physics... If a plane loses a flap it's not still going to act like it has one. Must be a bug.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Suggestion for flap bug
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »
Had the same in a KI61.  The funny thing is I could see the bullet holes in the air at the place where the flap was.  I'd say I had it happen twice in a year.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Suggestion for flap bug
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »
Twice? Then you've been very lucky. Happens to me more than I care to count.

As for the Ki61, what are you doing with flaps out on that bird?? :lol

They won't help much at all

The bullet holes reinforce my theory that the flaps are simply "not rendered" and are still in the down position, if you can see bullet holes in them when they are gone.