Author Topic: Best OS for AH2  (Read 327 times)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
Best OS for AH2
« on: January 17, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »
Or let me open a whole new can of worms, this is mostly directly at Skuzzy but all input is appreciated: If I were building a new box just for AH2 which OS would be best out of the Windows choices? I have everything from 98SE on.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:55:44 PM »
Tough call.  Pluses and minuses for all of them.  For overall stability, XP Pro is probably what you want to use.  For all of its warts, it has much better memory management than 98/ME does.

Windows 2KPro is still a good choice as well.  Although there are an increasing number of applications which will not run on 2K and require XP.  Something to consider as you look forward.

98SE/ME are done.  The time has come and gone for those two.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
What about slim versions of an OS, like XP Home?
I'm looking at a newer system to replace this dinosaur [ four years old now ] and the guy says XP Home is all I really need.
How tough is it to upgrade from Home to Pro or is that a can of worns you won't want to open and it better to start from scratch with the Pro version?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »
XP Home and Pro are mostly the same.  Pro exposes more controls to the user than Home does, but the underlying core is identical.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
Home vs Pro ?

If you want to connect your windows box to a corporate network using active directory, encrypt/decrypt files with windows, syncronize files against a file server or run a IIS Internet server? Then you need Pro.

If you just want to run AH you can go with Home version.

If you have both, or dont care about the prize difference Home has nothing that Pro does not have.

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 01:23:07 PM »
I still use Win98SE simply for the reason I have an old CH setup connected to a game port, with old type CH throttle, Force FX stick and pedals.  Works fine with Immersion forces enabled by loading the Immersion FX Stick, throttle and rudder (10 button stick) as the gameport driver.

This joystick setup doesn't work in XP (can't program throttle as the software doesn't work) and the force driver is also defunct in XP.

If you use usb joysticks XP is probably the best way to go, or have a dual boot system for both OS if you have old gameport flying gear.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »
Thanks all and Spiffy I do have old analog hotas CH setup with an FX stick so maybe I'll throw 98se on it so I can use that. No way I can afford new USB stuff on top of a newer rig.
Great info and you probably answered another of my questions before I even asked it :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »
Originally posted by fuze
Thanks all and Spiffy I do have old analog hotas CH setup with an FX stick so maybe I'll throw 98se on it so I can use that. No way I can afford new USB stuff on top of a newer rig.
Great info and you probably answered another of my questions before I even asked it :)

If your new rig has a built-in game port -use that instead of a sound card game port (disable it in device manager) as sound card ones seem to be spiky on new fast rigs, but built-in ones work well.  One snag is some new MBs designed for XP don't have gameports at all, only offering USB. Make sure you have one, or if it's possible to use a sound card gameport with new rig.

Use the AH stick mapper for the stick rather than "speed keys" programming -it's better, and use speedkeys only for the throttle.

If you are using Force then you need the original ForceFX5.dll from the old installation FX disk, plus the last of the ForceFX files from CH (still available) to add the force Immersion files for the gameport driver. This should be a 10 way button stick, with throttle and rudder included if you select that one. Everything works in ForceFX except the "Trim" force needs to be set very low-around 10 else the stick force for general flying will be too strong.  Rest of the force settings work fine, I just set stall up about 70%, but most of the others pretty low, as who needs the aircraft vibrating when you fire the guns! :-)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best OS for AH2
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »
Thanks again Spiffy. The aquisition is not imminent so I may shoot you an email when the time is right.
{ No need to post it, I'll get you through the profile. I'm paranoid about getting spammed when they are posted. }{ Your is disabled so if I have any questions I'll just post them here, no need to open up your profile because I have no idea how soon this will happen. ]
I still have my old gamecard3 which I assume is no longer usefull due to its slow speed and I'll have to check if the mobo has a gameport.