Author Topic: who say the FW190 A8 isnt a dogfighter?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
who say the FW190 A8 isnt a dogfighter?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
the point of the thread was that a FW190 is not just good at BnZ, running and HO'ing.  almost every plane in AH2 can dogfight to some extent, others alot more than commonly understood.

That is what I do, take advantage of using the unexpected. Folks dont expect a P-47 or a 190 to stand and fight instead of dive and run, but, inparticular the P47-D11 and the 190A-5 turn much much better than most people have bothered to find out and can become an unpleasant surprize.

As already stated, they will also not have much chance against someone expecting you to fight, and who knows what they are doing, but as also already stated that is a small minority of the MA.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 06:45:01 PM »
yeah i agree.

the Jug40 is not half bad either. i think its my favorite thunderbolt. it has magnificent stall fighting characteristics.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 10:00:32 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
The a5 is a very good ride.. so is the a8.. both are very lethal in the proper circumstances.. I like the a5 better for perks but there is very little difference in the a5 and a8..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by slimm50
I haven't tried the A8 in AH because the departure characteristics for it in AW were so bad, I didn't even think about it when I went over to AH.

A5 turns better then the A8.
A8 also has slightly better guns.
Both are outstanding planes once you learn them

Either can dog fight (turnfight) to some extent and for a limited time.
Thing is getting a firing solution as rapidly as possible. the longer the fight goes on the more the odds are not in your favor particularly with the regular turn Burners.
the trick is in knowing when  and having he self dicipline to get out of dodge. And extend or head for home
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 10:03:45 PM »
yeah i agree.

the Jug40 is not half bad either. i think its my favorite thunderbolt. it has magnificent stall fighting characteristics.

A light Jug is one dangerous plane when handled correctly and turns and can turnfight a hell of alot better then people give it credit for.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 12:28:44 PM »
i still disagree, against a pony, jug, any luft plane, and anything else thats heavier than a spit or lala, the 190a8/5 can be an awesome dogfighter.

Perhaps, but I still say given two pilots of equal skill level, one in a pony, the other in any German plane ya want, the Pony should own the other plane.

Heh, can ya tell I'm a Pony-phile?:p

Offline go4maw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 12:31:34 PM »
After 3 years of sticking with the 38 .
It took 3" days" of the FW 190a8 to change my mind
 Long live the Butcher Bird!:aok

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
Only problem with the 190s is that if you are involved in an engagement with more than 1 fighter(as is usually the case in the MA)  and you try to dogfight you are gonna lose. (if they know what they are doing) Keep em fast

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »
keeping your plane fast is a sure way to do well in a FW.  but many pilots underestimate the use of 'slowing down' also.

most people in the MA fly at what i like to call 'FFT', or full f-----g throttle.   speed is a hiderance sometimes.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 05:15:39 PM »
keeping your plane fast is a sure way to do well in a FW.  but many pilots underestimate the use of 'slowing down' also.

most people in the MA fly at what i like to call 'FFT', or full f-----g throttle.   speed is a hiderance sometimes.

Agreed I faced a similar situation last night with a  Tiffy a 190 and a Yak. one after the other.

I reduced throttle and did basically the same thing as was shown in the film with all 3 Killed the tiffy and 190 outright.

With the Yak I added a roll to the left to cause the overshoot then broke hard right.
Woulda had him too but I was down to BBS and only managed to lightly ping him.
Musta made him nervous as he ran away and gave me enough time to break and RTB myself

Working your throttle is a big part of it.
Knowing when to slow down.
Often in a turnfight its not the fastest plane that wins but the slowest
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 05:17:46 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty