Author Topic: Another Radeon 9600Pro in problems  (Read 593 times)

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Another Radeon 9600Pro in problems
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 04:37:39 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
mines set at 8x agp
 fast write is enabled .

i wonder if its a driver issue on the mainboard ... sound drivers exspecially

I think its driver-related, but I just can't find the way to solve it. Did a fresh reinstall, both XP, drives, etc., but no [positive] results. Tried with Catalyst and DNA drivers on the card side, and with full and partial installation on the nforce/MOBO side (disabling IDE, Memory and GART, both individually and all of them).

No result.

I'm starting to think in burning my card, as a fast way to change it.  ;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 06:48:45 AM »
Are you overclocking the card?  Then turn it back to normal and see if it stabilizes.

If the card will only stabilize when you alter the AGP voltage settings, this would indicate the motherboard may not be able to handle the power draw over the AGP bus or your power supplies 3V rail is being taxed.

When video cards shift into 3D mode (DirectX or OpenGL), they require significantly more power.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »
No, no.

I only overclocked it after hundreds of freezes and crashes....and found out it to be more stable than at normal speed/voltage.

OTOH, I have a 400Watt. power source, I think it's enough, isn't it?

When I have some more time, I will format c: yet again, and install only the card drivers, leaving aside all nforce ones.

Thks a bunch for the help.  :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 11:04:18 AM »
It is not the size of the power supply, it is more about how the power is apportioned to the various rails (+5, -5, +12, -12...).

And it may not be the power supply at all, it could be the motherboard not meeting the full AGP power specification.

The 9600Pro is well within the power specification of the AGP bus and I would think it odd if the motherboard was the source of the issue, but a capacitor could be bad, which would cause it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »
which nforce driver set are you using , some of the later ones have shown issues with the nforce 2 mobo's , there are some threads at nforcers hq, there are some stickys over there that you might find useful aswell     38
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 05:16:41 AM »
Originally posted by Pepe
No, no.

I only overclocked it after hundreds of freezes and crashes....and found out it to be more stable than at normal speed/voltage.

OTOH, I have a 400Watt. power source, I think it's enough, isn't it?

When I have some more time, I will format c: yet again, and install only the card drivers, leaving aside all nforce ones.

Thks a bunch for the help.  :)

ok when i put this pc together ...
asus a7n8x-e del
512 400ddr
9600 pro 128
i used my old and i mean old 380watt antec power supply (note this was bought when they 1st came out )

Well my OS / hard drive was crashing bad and AH would crash after a few mins everytime ..  swaped hd's same thi ng  ... stress tested the ram ... and POP out goes the 380 antec ... sniff sniff .

so i grab a brand new 400 watt i had in a case i just bought ... toss it in reformat ... get up and playing for a few days ... well cool this may work .. so i Over clock the mobile barton ive got to 2.2 ghz and start to let it run ..  two days later .... and its  POP ... (insert various words here) ... the powersupply   popped again ...  well this time i put in a enermax 420watt ... and voila  its been stable ever since ..  up at 2.4 ghz running a temp of 46c while loaded too

so the moral of the story is ... a power supply cant always be trusted .

Also you should go to the bios and turn off the (quick  power on self test)  this will test your ram on boot .. sometimes ram can go bad ..

the last thing i recommend is dont over volt your video card (agp ) and dont overclock when something is wrong or crashing ... I always go back to the "Baseline" /or basic settings for the cpu ect ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 08:07:29 AM »
I really appreciate all the help, guys.  :)

I will update my BIOS, first of all. Maybe there is the culprit.

Then I will buy another Power Source. (A silent one!  :))

If this fails, I will return to my usual "crossfingerpraylouder" attitude.

And ask HTC for another Stat page: Kills/Crash...ah! the vanity....

Will keep you updated.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 08:08:16 AM »
Originally posted by 38ruk
which nforce driver set are you using , some of the later ones have shown issues with the nforce 2 mobo's , there are some threads at nforcers hq, there are some stickys over there that you might find useful aswell     38
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

Thanks for the link!

I will try this too.  :)

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 10:40:30 AM »
Pop the side off your case see if your system stays up longer.  9 out of 10 times I have found solid lockups are heat related - heating of something other than the video card - if your card was getting too hot you would see artifacts first.  You video card does however generate ALOT of heat might be heating up somethign else - who knows?

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 03:14:02 AM »
Gremlins.

It has to be this.

Didn't change anything. Just shouted "I'm fed up!!" at the time I hit the reset button for some thousand time.

Everything running OK now, some insta-freeze but nothing serious. I will send my suggestion both to ASUS, ATI, nvidia and Microsoft.

Aaahhh, computers....gotta lov 'em.