Author Topic: Wgr 21 neutered -- why?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »
Their range has been cut by 1/3. Considering they only flew 1.4k to begin with that's pretty damn short. Now they detonate at 1.0k (tested offline vs drones).

If the POINT is to fire them at bombers from outside their defensive guns range, why are they now so short in range that you have to sit there IN guns range while you fire them?

Doesn't seem right to me. Plus you still can't jetison the tubes, so if you MISS the bombers with your rockets, you are generally screwed performance-wise.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:58:52 PM »
not "neutered"

pyro posted to my question about it here:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143405

MANDO, can you show me the link of the stats you posted so i can read about it again?

thanks!
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 03:07:45 PM »
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131797

There you have previous Pyro's numbers (5.25 seconds) and historical numbers (3.7 seconds).

No idea about new numbers.

There were no links associated to the numbers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 03:12:49 PM by MANDO »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »
Originally posted by MANDO
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131797
LMAO right under my nose, missed it. thanks!

i assume that data is from a book or something?

it sounds liek they will be easier to aim now, will try offline tonight!!!
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »
Just a final note about 21 cm rockets. These were, in fact, large artillery warheads, really big ones with a defragration radio of 45 yards. I would like to know which would have been the effect in the air surrounding the explossion against a "lifted" plane. I mean, if you have a sphere about 100 yards wide with fragments being able to penetrate the aircraft, what would be the effect of the blasted air at 200 yards? Would it be able to "stall" or "spin" a plane?

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Re: Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 05:25:44 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Their range has been cut by 1/3. Considering they only flew 1.4k to begin with that's pretty damn short. Now they detonate at 1.0k (tested offline vs drones).

If the POINT is to fire them at bombers from outside their defensive guns range, why are they now so short in range that you have to sit there IN guns range while you fire them?

Doesn't seem right to me. Plus you still can't jetison the tubes, so if you MISS the bombers with your rockets, you are generally screwed performance-wise.
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Well,
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 05:26:48 PM »
I only use them in HO to avoid the guns.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Re: Wgr 21 neutered -- why?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 07:18:03 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

The practical ranges were from 500 to 2000m. Maximum for level target was about 7000. But you should consider the fragmentation radius of 45m. Closer than 1200m, even the maximum dispersion was small enough to ensure damage to the target. At 2000m there were about 50% chances of missing completely the target (a single target) due lateral dispersion. 2000m was still good enough firing against buff formations.

The main problem was just to judge the range to the target, we have not that problem in AH, so these rockets may become deadly against non maneuverable targets at 1000 yards.