Author Topic: C47 my tribute to a hero  (Read 948 times)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
C47 my tribute to a hero
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:02:49 PM »
I been working on this dakota after reading  david lords story the only  Victoria Cross  for RAF transport command
[/IMG]
heres his story

While flying at 1,500 feet near Arnhem the starboard wing of Flt Lt Lord's Dakota was hit twice by anti-aircraft fire, as a result the starboard engine was set on fire. He would have been justified to leave the main stream of aircraft and either tried to return to his base in England or even abandon the aircraft altogether, but on learning that all his crew were un-injured and that the dropping zone was just 3 minutes away he decided he would complete his mission as the troops on the ground were in such dire need of supplies.

By now the starboard engine was burning furiously, Flt. Lt. Lord came down to 900 feet where he was singled out by all the anti-aircraft guns and fire was concentrated on his aircraft , un-daunted he held his Dakota level and on course while the supplies were dropped. At the end of the run he was informed by the dispatchers that 2 containers remained. Although he must have known that the starboard wing would collapse at any time, he circled rejoined the stream of aircraft and made a second run to drop the remaining containers. These manoeuvres took eight minutes in all and all the time the aircraft was under heavy anti-aircraft fire . His task completed Flt. Lt. Lord ordered his crew to abandon the aircraft making no attempt to do so himself thereby giving his crew members the best chance they had of successfully baling out . By this time the plane was down to 500 feet. A few seconds later the starboard wing finally collapsed and the aircraft fell in flames. There was only one survivor who was flung out while assisting other crew members to put on their parachutes. His name was Harry King , who survived the war he died a few years ago and his ashes were scattered under the memorial window of Down Ampney church.

As for Flight Lieutenant D.S.A. Lord DFC. For continuing with his damaged and burning aircraft doing two dropping runs and remaining at the controls thereby giving his crew their best chance a escaping he was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross. He lies buried alongside his crew and the dispatchers in the cemetery at Oosterbeeck.

Not  all Hero's have guns  only  the fighter  pilots  are remember,but we must never forget.

rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »
Thanks for that, RD.   David Lord.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 07:03:36 PM »
the feats of bravery such as this are what stand out in my mind when i think of war and its outcomes.

S! D.Lord and crew,  truely courageous untill death.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
Great story.  It is a shame the atrocities of War have a tendency to overshadow the uncommon courage, valor, and honor of people like this one.

Thank you rogerdee for keeping this man's tale alive.  They all deserve it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 11:22:41 AM »
The story of a  true Hero.

When do we see this one in game?

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »
i got some  more  little bits  too do and will send it in end of week i hope  

rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:29:02 PM »
Roger was curious but do you have a seperate set of panel lines your referencing for your C-47?  If not I might be able to help you out with a set I found.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
no i have some photos  and  a couple of  books to work from but not anything with just  panel lines on it.  any help is  always grateful received

rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 07:18:42 PM »
Roger shoot me an email at res1xn6aREMOVE@verizon.net and I'll send you that C-47 panel line file I found.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 01:07:32 PM »
that  e  mail address  didnt work for me  
you could always postthe lin drawing  of pcturehanger

rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
C47 my tribute to a hero
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 04:17:57 PM »
lol okay...By chance did you remove the word remove in the email address?