Author Topic: whats with CV landings?  (Read 899 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
it's a GAME
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 07:54:39 AM »
if it were setup with rl complexity and difficulties, many more would be complaining how impossible/complex it is to land on cv than the few who are complaining on how easy it is

imagine having to turn cv everytime you land/takeoff?

it's easy in PF too, but it is also FUN
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
I was station onboard the USS Eisenhower CVN69 for over two years, and I can count on one hand how many times they pushed that thing to full speed. The only other time that ship shook that much, was when it went into full reverse to stop as fast as it could.... still ran about a mile before it could stop  :) It could knock you out of your bunk ! LOL!!

i think we are talking WW2 cv's here, no catipults, no angled deck.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 05:53:07 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Would the CV IRL be going full speed for landings?

What speed a real CV will be making depends upon wind conditions. Less wind equals more speed and vice versa.

We don't have surface winds. Can you imagine the chinese fire drill if it were required to turn the CV into the wind in the MA? We don't have a rolling and pitching deck. We don't have wind burble off of the ship's island to toss planes about. It's easy to land on the AH CVs. You are not being graded for each landing either. We have guys pickling rockets and bombs on the flight deck. In general, our CV experience is far from real life.

What we do have is a strange frictionless flight deck and arresting cables that act like slingshots.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 05:58:42 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
i think we are talking WW2 cv's here, no catipults, no angled deck.

John, American WWII CVs did have catapults and they were frequently used when the deck was full. Little CVs used cats more often due to the short flight deck. At Saipan, squadrons of USAAF P-47s were catapulted off. See below.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.