Author Topic: WIFI question  (Read 291 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
WIFI question
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
Ok i just now put in a wireless card and was wondering what the scoop is on WIFI and how it plays the game? I have noticed a lot more warping/zipping around of planes than with cable but still seems fairly playable for me.
My long term goal with this is to be able to play from my semi-truck while i'm on break at the truckstop or where ever i have WIFI connection. I'm actually setting up my home system in the truck instead of using a laptop. Any input from current/past WIFI players would be appreciated.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: WIFI question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »
There is always more bit errors in a WIFI connection than in a wired conenction.  When a bit error occurs on a UDP packet, that packet is lost.  Yes, more warping will occur.  It cannot be avoided.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »
The only time I played WiFi was in my home, on a connection I managed. I rarely lost packets because the router sent such a powerful signal the neighbor 3 houses down couldn't connect to his router because it was being blinded by my signal. :cool:

So, if you're playing WiFi, try to have a strength signal of 90% or higher to experience less lag.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »
I use WIFI with mine.  My router is about 15 feet away in the basement.  I would love to go wired, but this is a rental house and as a result I don't feel like drilling holes, etc for ethernet cable.  El-cheapo old D-Link wireless router.

I never have any hiccups or lag during game play, and I MIGHT experience one or two disco's a week.

Public Wi-Fi access points are going to be a different story though.  You'll be sharing limited bandwidth with other users, and connection quality is not going to be consistent enough from one location to another.  Yes, it's possible, but no it probably won't be reliable.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
...Public Wi-Fi access points are going to be a different story though.  You'll be sharing limited bandwidth with other users, and connection quality is not going to be consistent enough from one location to another.  Yes, it's possible, but no it probably won't be reliable.
Bingo.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.