Author Topic: a little terrain problem  (Read 427 times)

Offline nostick

• Zinc Member
a little terrain problem
« on: December 20, 2004, 12:51:39 AM »
Just installed my new radeon 9550 video card and every thing is perfect except that  the towns and air fields are not defined, just a color blur. The trees are same way everything is there but  it looks like a melted box of crayons.
thx for any help,
goducks

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
a little terrain problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 01:14:57 AM »
what drivers are you using ??

and in the game setting did you raise the detail range all the way up to 3 miles ??

mines stilll using the stock drivers that came with it  4.3 cats
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:10:52 AM »
I suspect if you raise the detail range to 3 miles it will bring Goducks computer to its knees.

Try upgrading your video drivers (both of you)
Roscoroo is using the 4.3 whilst the current version is 4.12.
Released every month the format is 4.1 = 2004, 1st month ie Jan
so 4.2 = Feb 2004 etc
Roscoroo is using March 2004 drivers, the later versions just get better with speed and quality improvements.

So go find and use the Radeon 4.12 http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=16&submit.y=5drivers or even better try the Omega versions http://www.omegacorner.com/ as these in my and many others opinion are better, they may be marginally slower (1fps if that) but they definitely improve on visiual quality.

Offline nostick

• Zinc Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 07:04:01 AM »
just downloaded new drivers, increased distance and quality in the game and still have the same results, must be something were missing

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:19:06 AM »
What monitor are you using ?
Also do they look ok if you view them while stationary ?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
a little terrain problem
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:34:23 AM »
I'm wondering what settings are being used on the card for antialiasing and ansiotropic filtering?  If absolutely everything is turned off, it could cause quality issues like that (of course, the question arises how much quality the computer can handle the card rendering).

Offline nostick

• Zinc Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 12:04:08 PM »
The view is the same stationary or not.  It only affects the trees, towns and air fields...everything else is perfect. Never had this particular problem before with either computer so we are thinking it is probably a setting?

I went into settings and checked the "anisotropic filtering and antialiasing" and the only boxes checked were "Let the application decide."

Mrs goducks...Mr goducks is out of town

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:18:08 PM »
it shouldnt bring it to its knees at all

My ati 9550 256mb card is in my 1.3 ghz amd (morgan cpu) range set to 3 miles sliders at 1/2 , 256 textures, 800 x 600 ,32bit, 85hz refresh rate

it runs fps about 5 less then my 9600pro in my 2.4 ghz amd (barton) its totally playable (As matter of fact it still plays better then the 2.4 ghz)

I left mine at the 4.3's cat because there doesnt seam to be any problems ... and the fact that i use win 98  .

but i would suggest that you go ahead and try the latest drivers 4.12 if your running XP

did you set the agp in the "Smartgart " thats in display properties ... also my direct 3d settings are at balanced  
(this is default and sets everything at application preference w/ vsync on)

Another thing is when you change drivers with an ati card you need to start in safe mode and remove all of it .
Leave the ati control panel though (unless it tell you to remove it )
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline nostick

• Zinc Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »
Rosco,

Under "Smartgart" the AGP speed is set at 8X. Under AGP Settings the AGP Write and AGP Read are both ON. Should anything else be checked? Under PCI Settings both the PCI Write and PCI Read are checked and ON.  Is this right??? Or should they both be Off?

Everything else is set up the same as yours. I'm not sure about the drivers, he thought he had removed everything. Will check again.

Mrs goducks

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 10:28:48 PM »
I believe that should be correct ...
  i'll have to look at mine after i send the Baby Roo to bed (he's busy playing blues clues right now on it)
Roscoroo ,

Offline Griego

• Copper Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 04:28:35 PM »
not to steal the thread... but where can i find where my AGP setting are.  1x, 2x, and 4x. settings.

sandra is stating that my agp is not optimal and is set at 1x would like to set it o 4x.

got a nforce2 board k7n2-lisr ms 6750
 geforce 4 ti 4200.
 amd 2500xp
 windows xp.
 1024mb of ram

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 03:29:12 AM »
To the original problem.... maybe the terrain is messed up, is that on all terrains or only in ma?
Maybe the ah2 cache is messed up. Run checkdisk and delete the contents of the cache folder in ah. Also might be graphics driver... when it is xp download the newest one and follow the installation process.. removing old driver & installing new one... detailed description is on the website where you get the driver and comes with the driver.
Make sure to get the normal driver that runs without the .net framework.
On a second thought you say it worked before... since when does it no longer work, it came with a specific terrain or with a ah2 patch or with a driver change?

AH2 settings.... might try to change texture size to a lower lvl.... then ah2 recalculates the cache... see if its gone then.

Now to the hijack...
Skuzzy wont tell you how to do it if hes smart...when you dont know it already you probably have no experience in the bios settings might want to ask a friend who knows his stuff to come over... but make sure he changes only one setting at a time....other than that might as well learn it yourself.

Bios... when the computer starts it gives a hint which key to hit to enter it (mostly del some f10... if the monitor is slow to start wont see it, reboot in windows and you see it).
Then you can dial through the menues (enter to enter submenu, esc to leave submenue, up/down arrow to select an item and pg up / pg down to change a value in most boards, esc two or 3 times to exit without change and f10 to exit with change, might be diffrent on non standard bios) and look for "AGP" there will be a setting for aperture size and a setting for the multiplier.
A word of warning, when you change the wrong setting here your comp wont boot anymore or eaven worse, wont let you change it back.
But before that make sure to check what your graphics board supports.

And.. only change one setting at a time, then see if it still works. if it doesnt you are up for trouble since some cases it is impossible to change it back when the bios no longer shows up.

For example, when you change to 2x agp and your graphic card does not support it then you will no longer see the bios screen... makes it hard to change back. Usually there is a reason why it is set to 1x ... but not always.

For the case you mess up... can reset all settings with a jumper.. but then you need to change all settings again to the values they were because with the reset they go back to default instead of to what they were. Also.. when you have a pci graphic board you can use that if you mess up agp settings.

Hope this helps.. if there is anything unclear ask BEFORE you touch it (and open a new thread).

Of course... when you change it wrong you can damage hardware, make the comp forget your harddrive or no longer boot... dont blame me)

cheers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 03:42:35 AM by Schutt »

Offline Wyldbill

• Zinc Member
a little terrain problem
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 09:36:40 PM »
I don't know if this problem was ever resolved for you, but I was having the same problem and found the "fix".

I was having the weird town, tree, and cockpit guage problem where it looked like "melted crayons" as well and did a search and came across someone saying to turn off terrain Mipmapping in the video settings once you are in the game.  As soon as I "unchecked" the terrain Mipmapping box i could see the terrain change while sitting in the tower.

As soon as i jumped in a plane, no more "melted crayon" problem!

WyldBill