Author Topic: The Value of Airfields  (Read 528 times)

214CaveJ

The Value of Airfields
« on: February 22, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »
In this chapter of me book on strategy we'll take a more indepth look at the value of the airbases in AH.  The reason for is a lot of the time I see people wasting time fighting over a worthless base when a small group is getting clobbered trying to take one of more value.

The most important fields in AH (for the current map) are 1, 9, and 17.  These three have an elevation of 5000ft, making them the highest ground in the arena.  These fields are also in close proximity to all the strategic targets in thier respective lands.

The next fields are 2, 4, 10, 12, 18, and 20.  These fields have an elevation of 3500ft and also have some proximity to roughly half of the strat targets in thier respective lands.  I'd also add fields 3, 11, and 19 to this group.  Even though they are 0ft elevation fields, they are close to the strategic targets.  I'm sure many a pilot could testify about the pain the arse TWC has made of ourselves after capturing 3, 11, or 19 =)

This brings us to the rest of the 0ft elevation fields, 5, 6, 7, 8 in the south, 13, 14, 15, 16 in the west, and 21, 22, 23, 24 in the north.  These fields have little value strategically, save as stepping stones to the more valuable fields, and for pushing a reset.  The quickest routes to the heart of a land is the fields closest to the center of the map (5, 7, 14, 15, 22, 23).  Then leaping from those to the central low fields (3, 11, 19).

Once one of the central low fields is captured, it's a short flight to knock out any of the strat targets.  Like taking down the HQ to cover a strike getting ready to attack one of the high ground bases =)

The outer low land fields (6, 8, 13, 16, 21, 24) are relatively worthless.  They can be used as stop offs to the 3500ft elevation fields, or even to the central low land fields - but it's a quicker flight from the inner fields.

Been many a time TWC has pushed into one of the central low fields, then launched an all out effort on the city of the land we're invading, flattening it rather quickly.  A short rtb flight and we're up again after the HQ, which others are taking bombers to other strat targets.

Blind and cripple a country from the central low land field, which can be done fairly quickly, then launch strikes to take the high ground =)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
The Value of Airfields
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
Another point too add is the value of "flanking" enemy airfields.

Night after night, you see a country take one of the frontline fields (lets take the "south" country for an example) like 7 or 8, and they immediately start to try and take the closest elevated field, in this case 4.

But defending 4 is very easy since you start with an altitude advantage, the attackers are only coming from a single direction (usually shortest route), and a goonie that has been down on the deck hidding on its approach has a difficult time climbing up the slopes to make its drop.

Solution? Easy sweep around the elevated field, and take f7 then f3. Now you can attack from three directions, plus hit the enemies infrastructure at the same time.

It sounds like it is more difficult and takes longer, but in reality its quicker. Elevated fields are rarely taken without vastly superior numbers when they us a straight in approach.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Value of Airfields
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
Good post CaveJ, as usual...I still want to know where that B26 parked on the runway fits in ;p

Peace Bro!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-22-2000).]

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
The Value of Airfields
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
Once again, you're right as to the respective value of fields, but the joy fighting the strat game is that there's more to it than that.
When attacking, you should also take into consideration the defensive force.  Frankly, it's going to be a huge waste of resources to get the field the enemy is actively defending.  This is where flanking, feints and the like come in.
Remember that 90% of the fighter pukes on line, especially those you're fighting against, are working from the "where's the fight?" mentality.  Thus, a high-profile attack, or one on a high-profile field (1,9 or 17) is liable to produce a heavy defense.  When the pukes establish a defense at such a place, that's when to take a low-profile force and grab another field.
Similarly, if you want to take a central field (say, 7), it's much easier to do if you feint towards the flank field (8), stir up the hornets, and then slip over.
Another thing to remember is that pukes tend to be reactive.  If you grab a field, there's a good chance they'll try to send fighters over to attack your thrust -- so get the bombers out early.  Or, better yet, go for the 1-2 punch: have force A grab a low-value field (or try to), stir up the cap, and while they're racing to defend or recapture that field, send the main force in on a high-value target.
There is no such thing as a worthless field, just excessive wastes of resources on them.

214CaveJ

The Value of Airfields
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
Rip I'll do that if it's the only way I have of covering a nearby squaddie in a goon, or if the country I'm using that particular tactic against has really iriitated me >=)

Dinger you make some valid points, but flanking, feints etc are more tactical in nature (though still parts of a strategy used in an attack).  5, 7, 13, 16, 21, and 24 are still worthless in the strat model of AH, though they may play a tactical role in the strategy of capturing one of the inner circle bases.

[This message has been edited by 214CaveJ (edited 02-22-2000).]

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
The Value of Airfields
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
ahhh the memories

here's a stroll down memory lane for all you nostalgic types