Author Topic: Joystick Settings  (Read 585 times)

Offline Anchor

• Copper Member
Joystick Settings
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:39:57 PM »
As opposed to Stick "Maps", is there a way I can load a setting while in the game that lets me change my sensitivity settings?

My dogfighting settings are much to jerky when in a zoomed in panzer and I was hoping there was a way to do this.

Otherwise, its rename stick.cfg -> stick3.cng and rename stick2.cfg -> stick.cfg and reload the game.

:(

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »
Yep. It takes about 10 minutes to get it all set up.

I have been working mids so earliest I can meet you is around 6:30 pm CT tomorrow if you wanna make the changes. If so, shoot me an email and we an set it up for you in the Training Arena (TA).

If yer not fond of blackouts we can fix that too. :)

Offline phatkatz1

• Zinc Member
Joystick settings
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »
Been struggling myself with a culmanation of problems,
mainly stick settings seem to be one culprite.  Low g- blackouts
to pizz poor turning radiuses....The twisty is nice but the notion  that peddals rule is becoming more apparent..                          Understand the difference in fighter characteristics and thier significance relative to their abilities, these are paramount. These freeking settings though are driving me "bananas" ..Made every recommended and non-recomended change that can be made from microsoft to HiTech. Ran the "Belarc" profile, it all checks.

Ren or ?, if yuz interested in lending a little hep or lot, i'm all ears sirs.

{"lose sight and lose the fight"}.............
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 05:51:15 PM by phatkatz1 »

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick Settings
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:46:16 AM »
Before we start remember this. Stick setups are like opinions. Everybody has their own. Every individual stick set is as good as what works for each person.

You mentioned low G blackouts. I think you'll find blackouts occur when you hit a certain G number...like 6 G's +. The difference in when they occur is directly related to your airpseed. If you are going fast then it doesn't take much to get to the magic number. If you slow down you have to pull more to reach it. At some point you can be moving so slowly that you can't blackout.

Turning radius is a function of the planes wingform, drag, airspeed, gravity and the planes weight, to name a few....For example, if you had two P-51D's turning at the same speed but one had a full tank of gas and the other a 1/2 tank  the one with less gas weighs less and turns a tighter circle at the same airspeed. If you're turning nose down gravity helps keep your speed up and the effective turning radius gets larger. Everything effects how a plane flies including adding drop tanks (DT's or rockets (rocs) or eggs (bombs). These items not only add weight but add drag. There are ways to miminize turning radius but this is about setting up your stick. We can address more in another discussion.

I'm old school when it comes to stick setup. My thought is you input a little stick throw and you get a little control surface movement. No more, no less. The reasons will become apparent when you go fly after making these adjustments.

The path to make the change within the game is:
esc/setup/controls/joystick/settings.

When you get there look to top left for the little window that reads "roll" with a little arrow to the right of the window. The window changes so you can adjust each control; roll, pitch and yaw (rudders).

You make the adjustments using the sliders below the window. Take a close look at the sliders. Along the top you see the numbers 0-90 with a slider for each in increments of 10.  Let's set the sliders for a good working stick.

First click on the default button below the sliders.
This resets the sliders into what appears to be a set of stairs moving from bottom left to top right. But, the 0 slider is not all the way down to the bottom. Move it all the way down. Now take a moment and realign the rest of the sliders so you get a perfect set of "stairs" that begin at low left (0 slider) all the way up to high right (90 slider). Make sure the 90 slider is all the way to the top. THis is needed so you get absolute full throw on the control surfaces at slow speeds. When you finish do the same for pitch and yaw (if you have rudders).

When you get all of the sliders adjusted then look at the list on the bottom right of the window and go to "calibrate joystick" and do it. Make sure you move all controls, including the throttle as far as they will go.

Ok, go back up the list to "settings" and click it. There are two more sliders to the right. One is "Dead Band" and one is "Damping".

Dead band takes away the spiking that occurs from dirty or old potentiometers (pots). Normally you never need to touch this one. An easy check to see if your sticks "pots" are acting up is to move the stick and look at the blue boxes to the right. If you see the lines jumping (spiking) when you first move the stick then you may want to move the slider up a hair to kill the spike. Only move it enough to stop spiking. No more.  Again the newer digital (USB) sticks normally do not need adjustments with the Dead band slider.

Damping is a little different in that it "delays" the onset of control surface movement. We are talkng milliseconds here. It's not much of a delay but its just enough to take away the twiches when your aligning to shoot some dude and he's wigglin. Many folks new to the game have a tendency to yank the stick around a little as they try to get their sights pointed at the guy in front of them for a shot. By sliding the damping bar up about 1/4 inch you lose most of those twitches. Try it and adjust it to where you feel comfortable. But start at 1/4 inch up and fly it for a week.

Ok, how does this affect your flying? A number of ways....
1) No more heavy nose bounce
2) The stick is softer around the center, where you are aligning for the shot, and at all speeds. Yuo will find your kills go up.
3) Twisty stick rudders now work the way they are supposed to. :)
4) Blackouts become a thing of the past. Try it...

Get up to 4k altitude in just about any plane.
Hit X and let it go level and accelerate.
When it gets up around 290-350, hit WEP (P) if you plane has it, roll the wings left or right 90 degrees and let the nose drop below the horizon and begin to pull harder and harder as it speeds up. You will begin to blackout as the blackout tunnel gets smaller just ease the stick fwd. Do not push it, ease it and you will find you are flying in the tunnel and can still see. Practice it until it becomes second nature. After a while you will normally fly into and hold the plane easily in the tunnel and never blackout again.

Ok, now you've got all that done do one more thing. When you're flying keep a loose grip on the stick. If you find you have a death grip on it then you are holding it too tightly. When you're going to fire at someone before you "squeeze" the trigger release the death grip from the stick and hold it gently then squeeze the trigger. Also, you are flying the plane. It doesn't fly you unless you let it. Make sure you only move the stick the required amount needed to get the job done. The gentler you are on  stick the better you will fly the plane.

You also note at the bottom of your post "lose sight, lose the fight". I can show you how to use lift vector to never lose sight again....

Hope this helps.

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Joystick Settings
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »
Ren,

Just curious.... why do alot of the more vertern sticks like to push all thier sliders up into the 90 position?

Is there an advantage to doing this Vs the step setup?

Also would you adj the damping on all 3 inputs?
Or just pitch and roll?

Thanks again for all your help

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Joystick Settings
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
Some "vets" just learned that way from previous games. Others have developed the light touch on the stick that allows it. Other vets use the step method. Others use default. Heck some vets were never taught anything else, they learned to fly "the ways it is" and after years of flying they finally got a feel using the original default and would'nt change for a free account. Again it's all in what you get used to. Hmmm, nose bounce to one guy might be nothing to another, when you think about it. Also, folks adjust sticks to their style of fighting. If they spend more time BnZ'n (in the true sense of the word) their touch is going to be very light with not much pulling of G's. They are almost flying hands off the stick to maintain E. There is a marked difference in "feel" (for lack of a better word) when you move the sliders to the top. However, how many planes have you ever flown (if any) that went to 1/4 throw the second you touched the stick?

Whose way is best? Everyone's. :) As long as it does what you want it to do. My "how to" is designed to get you up and flying without the blackouts, nose bounce, aim problems and all we're talking about here is stick settings.  There's a lot more to learn AFTER you get the stick and views set.

You can adjust damping in all axis if you have a tendency to pul las you fire, for instance. The soft centering effect of the delayed conrol surface movement helps settle the nose more. I set my damping a little above the bottom in all axis'.

One thing about damping, stick stirring used to be a problem to many folks in the game. When you got behind someone they'd just start throwiing the stick all over the place and many couldnt get a shot in. Some argued it wasn't realistic and won that battle. While I agree about realism remember one thing...realism is in the eyes of the programmers. You can sometimes argue about what's real and not and see changes. For the most part...not! It's a game! :) Anyway, to combat stick stirring if you stir the stick fast you get a message "do not move the stick so rapidly" and your controls would lock up a some seconds.  If you have ever seen that message while fighting just slide the damping slider up a hair until it goes away.

Hope this answers yer ?'s

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Joystick Settings
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 02:35:55 PM »
As always Ren, you answer the question, then answer the ones I haden't even thought of yet:aok

Thanks!