Author Topic: The amazing Spitfire  (Read 958 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 03:49:03 AM »
fly the Hurricanes.  it turns great & has a massive kick with those cannons.  just don't spray and pray or you'll be out of ammo in no time.

Offline me62

• Zinc Member
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »
Hondo's avatar needs a warning label. :D

Mike

aka BTMe62

Offline Big G

• Copper Member
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 09:30:43 AM »
I'm going to run with the spit 9 for now, Already I have found out some important things about it, keep the speed up and get in to  a turn asap and I have some breathing space, no point mixing it up on the deck for a while as energy vanishes and I'm wallowing around at 200mph (if that) with some guy coming round on me and so no chance to get up high again and get some speed.

Mind you, I could have described any aircraft there really ! If anyone can post on here some spit 9 tactics I could then take these to the training area and get them right.
So far it's "swoop down,turn and get out of dodge" tactics that have saved me so far, picking my fights and not to go just diving in on anyone.
Still great game though and a lot to learn.
Cheers
Big G:cool:

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 10:47:26 AM »
Originally posted by Big G
I'm going to run with the spit 9 for now, Already I have found out some important things about it, keep the speed up and get in to  a turn asap and I have some breathing space, no point mixing it up on the deck for a while as energy vanishes and I'm wallowing around at 200mph (if that) with some guy coming round on me and so no chance to get up high again and get some speed.

A good choice to begin with. I suppose you might want to think about the spit 9's cruise speed. I believe it is around 285-290 mph. If you plan to fly at cruise your options open up. You can momentarily dip the nose and speed up, or raise it and slow as the situation dictates. You can also find the best corner speed for any plane using a simple formula. For example, if you like to fight and flight around 5-8k alt then go up to the higher of the two and go level with flaps up, cut the throttle until, in level flight, it stalls off. Note that speed and multiply it by 1.66 and you have its best cornering speed. Simple and works on all planes. I've already checked the 9 and its 152-153 mph. :)

Mind you, I could have described any aircraft there really ! If anyone can post on here some spit 9 tactics I could then take these to the training area and get them right.

The spit 9 does everything ok. Has resonable guns (20's and .50's), turns ok, can get reasonably fast and is forgiving when you get it all turned inside out. It has great legs (range) compared to some of other rides. Suggestion is to take the Drop Tanks (DT's) and 1/2 tank of gas. Just before you get into a fight just drop them and you will be at a nice fighting weight (1/2 tank). Fight until you get to 1/4 tank then turn for home. You will notice about the time you turn for home the guns are just about empty. It can't outrun alot of planes and many planes can turn with it enough to get a kill or bug out to re-engage.

So far it's "swoop down,turn and get out of dodge" tactics that have saved me so far, picking my fights and not to go just diving in on anyone.

As far as tactics go, first you gotta learn tactics. Then you can apply them to a particular plane. As you noted above, you swoop down, turn and get out of dodge. The good news is you have begun learning to stay alive. Now you can work on learning tactics and chaulking up kills.
As good place to begin is in the TA.

Cheers

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 11:26:39 AM »
Originally posted by Big G
If anyone can post on here some spit 9 tactics I could then take these to the training area and get them right.

Cheers

When someone acquires a gun solution on you, start moving your stick in a clockwise direction over and over and over again, but every now and then, be sure to slam your stick diagonally.  Then, continue stirring in the clockwise direction again.

Do this, and you'll fit in with the Spit crowd just fine.  :aok

Welcome to AH, btw.    It's the greatest online combat flight sim.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The amazing Spitfire
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 11:37:14 AM »
Originally posted by TBolt A-10
When someone acquires a gun solution on you, start moving your stick in a clockwise direction over and over and over again, but every now and then, be sure to slam your stick diagonally.  Then, continue stirring in the clockwise direction again.

When yer done set out two bowl's, like T-Bolt does, and serve the soup with crackers and milk
:rofl :lol :rofl