Author Topic: 300mph Ditch= No Kill  (Read 873 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 03:44:32 AM »
This happened to me yesterday.

I saw a Bf109G-10 rush into one of my team mates from high. His speed was easily over 400mph. Probably close to 500.

I was in a Fw190A-8, and I thought I had a good chance to run him down, or at least take a pot shot when he pulls up.

The 109 pilot was obviously a newbie. His elevators locked up, and his alt kept getting lower and lower. The alt was now dangerously low, and I expected him to crash into the water. I pulled up.

Hmm.. nothing happens. No crash. No explosion..

Oh geez!

The 109 must have pulled his pitch angle up exactly parallel to the sea level as he hit the water. He skid across the water at fantastic speed, and then ditched there.

This is too much!

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 09:09:27 PM »
even thought it has saved me more then the nme in shooting down..

The Dicth model is waayyy to leinent..

A balance betweetn AH1 ..and AH2 woudl be nice

I routinely dicth many many planes ..especially upping at a so called "capped" field

Offline Don

• Silver Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 03:34:05 PM »
The change (if there was one) did not need to be made IMO.
It just makes sense to get the credit for a kill if you have taken the nme a/c out of the fight by disabling his a/c; if he manages a ditch, it was still due to your guns. But a 300 mph ditch or more is just ridiculous.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »
Originally posted by Don
But a 300 mph ditch or more is just ridiculous.

Tell me... I was doing 280mph, hit and flew through tower, lost wings and tail, fell on the ground belly up, slid on tarmac and landed successfully.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:59:54 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Tell me... I was doing 280mph, hit and flew through tower, lost wings and tail, fell on the ground belly up, slid on tarmac and landed successfully.

Wow, you got uber 733T SkillZ. Don't make me get mega after you again!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 06:54:04 PM »
The change (if there was one) did not need to be made IMO.

Don,  IIRC, this 'change' first appeared during one of the AH2 beta versions.

Initially, the earlier versions of AH2 beta had very convincing ditch models. The planes were severely effected by the terrain. You really had to nurse the plane carefully, down to very low speeds, and had to take effort to stay as stable as possible at the first contact with land.

However, this ditch model had some problems with some planes. Maybe there was a bug with it. Some planes, like the Fw190A-8, was almost impossible to ditch - at first contact the plane would just blow up.. and etc etc..

So, this was patched, but not in the way that fixed the problematic planes, but it seemed like the 'safety limity' of ditching speeds was just altered overall very high.

I always thought that this was just a makeshift, temporary patch until HTC reworked the ditching part... except its been quite a while to consider it just 'temporary'

Offline Don

• Silver Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 04:20:01 PM »
>>However, this ditch model had some problems with some planes.<<

Kweasa:
Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware the ditch model had been adjusted. Hehe, back during the AH2 beta I was wondering why I could rarely land the F4U models; even had trouble with the FWs. It makes sense, but now it seems to be in need of some further tweaking.  It has been written about enough and, I am sure HT and his crew will address it.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 04:22:23 PM »
>>I was doing 280mph, hit and flew through tower, lost wings and tail, fell on the ground belly up, slid on tarmac and landed successfully.<<

LOL! "nothing but net!!"

When I played AW (FR) years ago, some nights the connections were so bad, we used to purposely auger into the ground just to see how high we would bounce before we came back down :D

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
300mph Ditch= No Kill
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »
Originally posted by Tails
Well, in theory one could ditch at 200+mph... The only catches are that the landing surface would need to be incredibly flat, solid, and smooth, the the approach ing aircraft would need to come in flat, at a very shallow angle and low vertical speed.
But I agree, that if I shoot someone's wing off and they go skittering across the ground, there should be a kill at the end.

And to Moot:

I was going mostly for visualization with that statement.

I've got a slip-n-slide. Does anyone have a model airplane they want to experiment with?