Author Topic: The Dukes of Hazzard (Movie)  (Read 485 times)

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Dukes of Hazzard (Movie)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 09:22:22 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
*snip*...jessica simpson in daisy dukes alone.  She is the hottest moron I've ever seen.

This is what the Greek philosophers meant when they talked about 'pure truth'.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 10:04:29 AM »
Reminds me a little of Woody Allen paraphrasing God in an argument with Job.   God would have pointed to Jessica and said, y'know, "I do a lot of terrible things, but I can still make one of these." You know? And then Job would have said, "Eh. Yeah, well, you win."

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 10:22:20 AM »
I'm just concerned that the movie will gloss over some of the socio-economic or psychological  commentary from the television series.  The Jungian archetype of the 'Duke' brothers in their crusade to survive under the stifling corruption of 'Boss Hogg', it's straight out of Campbell.  Also, there's the Homeric aspects of the story.  Daisy Duke as a sort of 'good guy' Syren, using her body to physically distract the 'sailors' of Hazzard county (namely, deputies, county officials, etc) to allow the brothers in their mythical chariot to escape, that's a witty interpretation of Odysseus's conflict again the Syrens of The Odyssey, with very different results.

It goes back even further, on analysis.  The story of Icarus is replayed almost every episode.  When the General Lee jumps something, the frame might freeze and we would hear Waylon Jennings (clearly meant to represent Zeus) commenting that the Duke brothers had better grow wings or learn to fly...  it's OBVIOUS that this is parable for Icarus's ill-fated attempt to fly where hubris drove him too close to the sun.  The difference being that, the brothers, lacking the overconfidence and being characters exhibiting humbleness, always prosper/survive because unlike Icarus, they DON'T try to fly above their station.

Roscoe P. Coltrane is a fascinating character.  He clearly represents a leap from the greek mythos over to Native American stories of 'Coyote'.  Specifically, 'Flash' the basset hound.  While he never speaks, he always seems to 'accidentally' contribute to Roscoe's failures in some way, or at least passively watch when the slightest help could make a difference.  Instead of a coyote, he is a hound, but other then that, the correlation is obvious.

There's much more, of course.  Boss Hogg, Uncle Jesse as Zeus, Cooter, Enos, they're all threads in an intricate tapestry of deep psychological analysis.  After all, what better way to represent the psyche than as a wilderness that, while crossed with roads, is essentially impenetrable?

Here's hoping that the makers of the film don't overlook any of the painstaking bits of analysis in exchange for cheap laughs.  The Dukes of Hazzard as a work of literature is just too important for that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 10:25:26 AM by Chairboy »
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 11:22:10 AM »
oh, and I hope it has some good chase scenes too.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 11:26:10 AM »
Chairboy that is deep.

"Enos" was the Greek god of inept public servitude, was he not?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 11:40:30 AM »
And to think I always believed Dukes of Hazzard was the TV adaptation of Moonrunners.:confused:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Re: The Dukes of Hazzard (Movie)
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 11:41:27 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
see it

or

skip it

(what's your choice?)

Why would anyone pay $8.50 to see this movie?  

After making the mistake of seeing the starsky and hutch movie they won't get my money a second time...

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 12:39:49 PM »
I have to admit, after seeing the trailer.........

Watching Jessica Simpson bending over the fender of a car in those shorts and then giving that big innocent smile of hers and saying "Well I think something just bounced up into my undercarriage!"

I was almost dying laughing.  I've never really thought much about her before, other than another pretty face with a good voice.  She may have found her calling.  Hehe.  Other than that the rest of the characters look pretty dumbed down (and I NEVER thought that would have been possible) from the original series and boring.  I doubt I'll see it in the theater.  Depends on what else is out that week.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 01:06:21 PM »
Chairboy make SOB's brain hurt.  SOB mad at Chairboy.  Chairboy go 'way.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: The Dukes of Hazzard (Movie)
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 01:28:30 PM »
My mistake.   After further research it was a hot pink bikini.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 01:34:26 PM by oboe »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 01:49:35 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Chairboy make SOB's brain hurt.  SOB mad at Chairboy.  Chairboy go 'way.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.