Author Topic: Most Exciting GV Sortie  (Read 371 times)

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« on: June 24, 2005, 09:50:49 AM »
I never hop in GVs. I just dont find it fun. With that said the center island on Big Isles makes for some amazing GV action. I found myself upping M8s and Pnzrs one after another, because you know what, it was actually fun driving for 3 mins then using strategy to get the upperhand on the other GVs.

I think the center island has the perfect distance between GV bases and airfields such that the drive to a field is not too agonizing and a flight to a VH is not "out of the way" like on other maps.

One particular M8 sortie comes to mind:

I was speeding along in my trusty 37mm-armed m8 dodging trees, and juking between bushes when suddenly I came upon a clearing which a Panzer was seen traversing heading to my immediate right. Of course he had not seen me so I quickly turned to pursue. As he went back into the forest, I moved off to the left and went into stalking mode, holding my fire until I was right on top of him. Soon we entered a larger clearing and I could see friendlies across the way who had not seen him yet. After radioing in his position, and noting he had stopped in front of a medium sized hill, I entered back into the brush and came out on the other side of the hill.

With adrenaline-fueled calm I popped the gear into first and slowly climbed up the hill. I had to time this perfectly and make my short count. Preparing for the ambush, I jumped into the 37mm and made sure it was facing fully forward. I had no time to waste. As I crested the pyramid like hill, I noticed that the angle of the far side would likely allow gravity to roll me down the other side. I did not want this. Easing slightly over, I slammed on the brakes and jumped into the gun. As I zoomed in on my wary prey at 50yds I launched 2 rounds into his backside waiting for a reaction. Nothing!! Alright one more shot. As soon as I let off another uranium depleted round an ear-shattering BOOM! filled the air...

Yes, I got him!! But no, he was still there!! What was...Oh no!! a Pnzr off in the distance at my 12 O'Clock. The hunter had become the hunted. In the desperation of trying to get away, I tried to reverse but ended up cutting my engine, costing me precious seconds that I needed to save myself. As the engine agonizingly cut back on I pre-shifted the gear into reverse and immediatley started back up over the hill, trying to get away from the enemy Pnzr trying to save his buddy.

To no luck of my own, I was immediately greeted with the nice view of V90s tower. In the bottom corner the text buffer read, "You have been killed by YODA".

Wonder if he used the force?  

Let's hear all of your stories that involve GVs.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 10:15:53 AM »
this one time at spawn camp...

; )

i will add, doing GV stuff has fallen out of favor for me except a tiger to clear out a base where GV's are almost there, or a flak to stop a vulch.

i dont comprehend the aiming concept to hit the special spots that kill with 1 ping. i know there are GV dudes out there that actually aim and hit a certain spot on the tank. me, my graphics are not good enough to do that first off, second even at 200 yards, i can't be that accurate. i miss planes inside 200 LOL
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:27:15 AM by JB73 »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 10:26:15 AM »
uranium depleted round

Not to be a stickler.... it is actually, "Depleted Uranium Round"

Sorry, I am an AMMO troop in the Air Force, just wanted to help. :aok
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »
I remember driving an M8 into an enemy tank force in a valley and killing 11 (yes, 11) Panzer IV Hs before my 37mm gun was out of ammo.  I died trying to withdraw, jinking back and forth at 50mph trying to make cover, but one of the enemy tanks found his mark and my "armor" may as well not have been there.

But for the time I was in that brawl, at point blank ranges and manuvering to avoid the big guns, in there the adrenaline was definately going.

M8s are great for adrenaline rushes.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:34:56 PM »
I would edit if I could, ChristCAF :).  M8s certainly seem to be the most interesting GV to me. If we had a GV that could move around that speed with a bigger gun than 37mm I would be in GVs a whole lot more that's for sure.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
Sorry, I am an AMMO troop in the Air Force, just wanted to help.

ewww a load toad. :P Go play with a squib. :)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:35:45 PM »
There I was, in a Tiger, defending the town.

A M-3 snuck up on me. I found him too late.

He began cracking his pintle gun at me.

He killed my track.

I couldn't swerve to cover the maproom, so we lost the base.

It was exciting to see a single barrel of 50 calibre gun killing my tank caterpillars.

Offline SCDR

• Copper Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 12:28:21 AM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
Sorry, I am an AMMO troop in the Air Force, just wanted to help.

ewww a load toad. :P Go play with a squib. :)

or BB Stacker or Muzzle ..... uh never mind.:D

SCDR

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Most Exciting GV Sortie
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 11:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
There I was, in a Tiger, defending the town.

A M-3 snuck up on me. I found him too late.

He began cracking his pintle gun at me.

He killed my track.

I couldn't swerve to cover the maproom, so we lost the base.

It was exciting to see a single barrel of 50 calibre gun killing my tank caterpillars.

In reality a 50 cal taking out tank treads is quite possible though it is anoying thanks to it's gamey nature.