Author Topic: Takeoff model  (Read 419 times)

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Takeoff model
« on: June 22, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »
I got my rudder pedals today and for the first time since beta, did a lot of manual take offs. In early beta, it was stated that at low speeds, rudder had no authority so differential breaking had to be used to keep the plane straight. I'm still a complete spazz at using the toe breaks (any tips on damping and dead banding toe breaks would be appreciated) but noticed I could take off in an F4U using only the rudder (i.e., no toe breaks). Was the take off model dumbed down, or was it wrong to begin with and all those horror stories of tail draggers were just that- horror stories?

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:07:22 PM »
BTW at low speed the rudder has little authority, that is correct.

However I question the use of differential braking on take off roll. It seems to me that I never require that much correction. (landing is a different beast though).

If you pull back on the stick (about 50% i think) as you start your take off roll, it will lock the tail wheel and help you track straight, until you have enough speed for the rudder to start working.

Hope some of this make sense.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:05:29 PM »
Thanks RTR.

>>(landing is a different beast though). <<

Until they revisit the ditch model,  I don't even use wheels so no need for brakes :D

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:13:19 PM »
Most tail draggers can be steered via the tail wheel which is interconected from the rudder pedals to the tail wheel steering system.

The P51 for instance uses this system. It allows the pilot to steer the aircraft by use of the rudder pedals during a taxiing for instance.

The tail wheel can also be locked and unlocked to either allow or prevent it from swiveling. When unlocked it is free from the pedal assy., and the aircraft can be steered by differential braking.

Not all tail draggers have this system. Many do though.  I am not an expert on every single aircraft produced, so I cant tell you about them all.

Planes like a sesna 152 with a nose wheel, are also steered during taxiing by way of the rudder pedals(meaning the tail wheel is connected to the pedals). But can also be steered by differential braking.

Thats' it in a very basic nutshell.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 11:21:55 PM »
hehe BTW.

Here's what I do when landing, and it works for me.

Hog seems to be one of the harder to land and hold straight. Here's the secret.

You want to set your approach up so that as you pass the threshold of the runway, you are no faster than 110 mph or so. I use full flaps.

As you flair your airspeed will drop below 100 pretty quickly. Now as you are dropping below that 100 mph mark you should find that you are very close to touch down. If you can hold the nose a little high you can settle quite gently on all 3 points.

Once you are on the ground your speed will decay rapidly to the point that your wings won't generate enough lift to get you airborne again.  Somewhere around 80 mph. Pull back on the stick. It willl lock the tailwheel, helping you to track straight, and allow you some limited steering via your rudder pedals. Apply brakes etc etc etc.

Now, If you find that you are a little fast on touch down and can't pull back on the stick to lock the tailwheel without becoming airborne again (bouncing down the runway), tap the C and V keys (left and right brakes) to keep straight untill you are slow enough to lock the tail wheel. (tap the left one first, and it is just a short tap).

If you are really fast and find yourself floating down the runway (in ground effect really) raise your flaps a notch and you should settle on to the cement.

The biggest thing to remember is that you want to make as near a 3 point landing as possible. Landing a hog on two wheels and trying to hold it straight is difficult to say the least. (although it is much improved over the old AHI Hog). It is a hvy lady and will want to swing around like a 300 pounder at a polka party.

Can send you film if you want to "see" it, but it should work for you as I described it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:02:22 AM »
I hold the brakes, open the throttle, plane begins to roll, let off brakes, and I seem to get rudder authority pretty quickly. I don't know if it's propwash or what.  :p

Woof

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Takeoff model
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 05:58:36 PM »
Thanks RTR  :aok   While I love the way the Hog flies, trying to land one is a pain.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Takeoff model
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 07:24:04 AM »
Land gear up... works like a dream...gawd I love virtual planes.

Balsy