Author Topic: help with AMD64  (Read 253 times)

Offline terricola

• Zinc Member
help with AMD64
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
Hi, everytime i play AH, the game locks up after about 7 minutes. I read that AMD64 Athlon gives this kind of problems. I tried updating all drivers but ts no good. Also i reduced the AGP speed.
Some1 mentioned something about flashing the CPU but the game locked up before i could see the rest of it.
I really dont want to flash the CPU. I have heard creappy stories about doing it, plus i aint got a floppy drive.
Any advice?

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
help with AMD64
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:13:50 AM »
I had the same problem when I first got my 3700, a new Antec 480W power supply fixed my problem.

Offline terricola

• Zinc Member
help with AMD64
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 07:36:55 AM »
The problem happens when both playing with AC power, and internal battery, so  guess a new power supply wont fix it for me..
Other thing i noted is that after updating all the drivers i couldnt get the fan to turn off because the computer was getting really hot. But then i fixed the problem by reducing the temperature of my home to the lower 70s.

Overall, the game runs smooth, connection is fine, but after a few minutes, game freezes. If i wait for about a minute, then the game starts runnning again, but if I dont restart AH before the game freezes again, then i get an error message(after one painfull minute), and wont be able to play AH again unless  restart computer. Ill try to copy the error message this evening and post it for you guys.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
help with AMD64
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »
Could be you have a defective fan thats not blowing enough air to cool the CPU.  Overheating will certainly cause lockups and crashes and reboots (depending on how much it is overheating).  

Your comment about battery says you are running this on a laptop?  Thats fine, but you have to realize that your video card is going to be different even than the same model in a desktop computer.  Laptops are much MUCH more finicky about which drivers to use.  Post your DirectX diagnostic report or send it to skuzzy.  Could very well be you have the wrong driver installed for your video.  Sound drivers are another hot spot that could be causing trouble, but the diagnostic report will help narrow that down.