Author Topic: Anyone want to buy a French CV  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone want to buy a French CV
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2001, 02:30:00 AM »
"you will see another side (the good) of the French."

That'd be the Belgians, right?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
It would be better to carry out small repairs in other European ports. The minesweeper Verseau was repaired in several hours in the United Kingdom compared with the four weeks minimum it would have taken if the boat had gone to Brest," the report said.

Three guesses as to why this is so....

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
The French dislike people  who constantly ask for more ketchup  ;)

Broes

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2001, 07:01:00 AM »
Straffo.....I might take you up on that offer...next time I "cross the pond" I'll message you if you are still posting in these forums....I would like to see the good side of France..

Broes...not only do they hate ketchup...try asking for a coke with a meal...I would get a roll of the eyes and a "ahhhhh American Bougelais (sp?)"
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
with pleasure curval my e-mail : fdejager@free.Fr  (this is my only permament email and I using it since ... 1992 ?)

Originally posted by Curval:
try asking for a coke with a meal...

Dammit !
I was not aware that you were a criminal    ;)
Coke should not be used in public    :D

I would get a roll of the eyes and a "ahhhhh American Bougelais (sp?)"
Not that bad  : Beaujolais

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: straffo ]

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
My visits to France (Riviera twice) showed me much the same thing many folks say about the French. That they were rude, obnoxious, unhelpful and almost down right hostile. And although seperated by thousands of miles many of the 'French" in Quebec are literally the same way.

<shurg> Reminded me of the people back home in New York city and Boston.

Westy

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
Straffo - I have saved your e-mail address for the future...don't be surprised if I contact you....

Westy...I'm not talking to you after you shot me down last night!!  You were in a Yak and I was a zeke....I tried to rope you, but I misjudged YOUR "E" state...apparently you has lots...   ;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
By the way Straffo...While at the "host's" house in Paris we did engage in some discussions despite my broken French.  One thing got me soooo mad:

There was a military parade going on and I happened to be there as it passed.  That evening my host asked me whether I had been there...when I replied "oh yes" he said that I was priviledged to witness the greatest military in the world..and the one with the most inspired history...I just about gagged on my measly piece of ham...

When I mentioned that France's military tradition was essentailly limited to Napolean..and even he was Corsican..the guy lost it on me.  He went on to lambaste US foreign policy and ironically used Vietnam as his example of how badly the Americans have fought in the past....he must have forgotten that I was not a US citizen.  Anyhoo...I then went on to state that France's little excursion into Vietnam was a total disaster...he had a blank look on his face...."Ever heard of Dien Bien Phu?" I asked....he said no!!!

Do French history classes ignore the bad things and merely highlight the good, or what?  I even had to go get an encyclopedia to PROVE to them that France took a serious butt-kicking in SE Asia!!!  He, and his family had NO IDEA...

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
in short : we have our share of prettythang hole too ...
looks like you found the worst of our ass-hole   :)
I can't believe he didn't know anything about Indochina  ... it's one scar of our history and ignoring it is ... strange ...

btw about military tradition... we have  Charles Martell, René d'Anjou (for the older) and some  other not only Napoléon  :)

Westy  going to the "Touristic Alley" as I call this region is not the better way to know how are the average French.
Come to Normandy,Anjou and you will find other kind of people with other mentality
Btw I often has hard time with Parisian and south east people myself ... they have a behaviour ... detestable ...

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
France is no different than America. It has it's share of salamanders and on the other side of the spectrum, very generous and kind people.

From my personal experience, I don't particularly remember anything "bad" about French people when I was over there. However, I do remember a few good experiences (a few because I wasn't over there very long) with French people.
-SW

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Straffo you picked up my point  :)  Anywhere you go if as long as you get off the beaten path, out of Touristy Ally as it were, you wil easily find people who are just as nice and friendly as at home or anywhere else.

Possibly the one exceptiong (for me) was a few stops in Spain. I visited (several times) a few places on the Costa Del Sol, Majorca and also Ibiza and literally every time I left with nothing but good memories.  When my wife asks me where I'd like to go for vacation in Europe those Spanish places I visited 20 years ago come right to mind.

Curval  :) The Yak will literally hang in the air with WEP and a notch of flaps (or two). IT may have been a case of more horsepower to cash in on than any actual "E" on my part  <S>!  I was worried about getting into a turn fight. I never wory going verticle with a Zeke. Thanks. That was a fun flight for me to be honest. After yourI bagged a tag teaming Spitfire/Mossie pair and that felt good after not being in the MA much lately.  ;)

Westy

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
I heard those French have a different word for everything.

<tips hat to Steve Martin>  ;)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
My brother went to France as an exchange student years ago.  His host family was fantastic, took him all over Normandy and basically treated him as their own son and did a lot of trips to show off their country.  I'm sure some people have bad luck/bad hosts...and it sounds like your hosts were just King of the tulips and you got luck of the draw.

Best military in the world?  Gawd, how'd you keep your sanity?  My knee-jerk reaction would have been to say "Who said that? Hitler?"

I'm up here in Maine, and I don't get to go to Quebec as often as I'd like, but its a great place.  Quebec City has some of the most incredibly gorgeous women I've ever seen...add that French accent and <schwing....>....

'Course every 10 years they talk about separating or something.

I'm kinda leery on European travel...dunno when I'll do it.  I just keep going to Australia instead   :)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
I have to work with them - enough said :(

OTOH people say the there are French people and there are Parisians...