Author Topic: radar plane?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
radar plane?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 08:47:28 AM »
didnt successfully arrive till Nov of 45, in the form of stripped  b29 with a plexi dome on top, that made it necessary to bank the a/c to send and recieve the transmissions properly,was not used due to the near proximity it required at lower attainable alts to get proper alignment of the transmissions and the advent of jets making it highly susceptible to eny a/c.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
radar plane?
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 02:19:26 PM »
Originally posted by AmRaaM
didnt successfully arrive till Nov of 45, in the form of stripped  b29...

B29!#$$!#! N0oKi3@@@@@@@@@@@!!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
radar plane?
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 03:26:01 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Hmmm thought the P-61 had an early radar system onboard. But I could be mistaken.

Bronk

Many WWII aircraft had onboard radar, but it didin't work the way you guys are talking about.  It was not an AWACS type of deal.

The British and Germans used radar extensively due to their night time conflicts and there are many books you can read about their efforts.  In many ways it is more interesting than the daylight campaign due to the cat and mouse use of technology and trying to gain a leg up on the enemy.

For example, here is a simplified sequence:

British develop 'Monica' tail warning radar to detect enemy aircraft if then get within, IIRC, a couple of miles astern.

Germans learn to home in on 'Monica' emmisions from way outside 'Monica's' detection range instead of searching for RAF bombers semi-blindly.

British learn that the Germans are homing in on 'Monica', changing tactics so that night-fighter Mossies use 'Monica' to pull the German night-fighters right to them, then when 'Monica' detects a German nightfigher the Mossie crew'd switch off 'Monica' and pull around behind the German to pick them up on the A.I. radar in the Mossie's nose.  The hunter becomes the hunted.

That is only one small example of the ploys both sides were coming up with a using.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-