Author Topic: Making maps  (Read 327 times)

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
Making maps
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »
Gents,

How difficult is it to make a new map?  Would it require a computer with lots of HD room and tons of RAM?   Would you have to be a puter nerd to make one?

This is NOT a whine but a legimate question.   I'm only posting this because of another thread about one of the current maps that has everyone crying about it.

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Making maps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »
Well wrong forum. Yes it is hard making terrains.:confused:

Really hard to make the elv the way you want it too.

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Making maps
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:04 AM »
Making maps is easy, learning how is hard. Any computer that will run AH has more than enough power to run the editor.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Making maps
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:11:40 AM »
Gunner...

Making maps is not hard. It just takes some time to learn the quirks of the terrain editor and associated software.

I've been working on a new MA map for a fews weeks now, it was almost ready for submission but because of a dumb mistake on my part it will be a few more weeks. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Making maps
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 05:37:50 AM »
Making maps doesnt require much PC power. Its not even too complicated.

Whats complicated is the Terrain editor and his quirks. But once youve come to understand what it likes and whats a no-do, all it takes is patience and lots of time.

As for the elevations: Ive searched the globus for some goodlooking geo-maps and converted them to terrain files. Do a search in terrain forum, theres different programs you can use.
Youll just have to check the terrain and level the water tiles.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Making maps
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:47:37 AM »
Try to start of with a normal map.

Use one of the possibilities mentioned in the terrain editor to convert geodata or bitmap pictures to terrain.

Making the whole terrain by hand is pretty long winded.

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Making maps
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »
Errr i didn't mean ah terrain making is hard.. Needed sleep learning is hard.  Geting things the way u want and the way htc wants um. Inless your making h2h map.

<-Played with ahte more than i spam the bbs:confused: :p :lol

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
Making maps
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:00:13 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.      

I honestly wasn't looking to cause any waves.   Was just curious if it was easy to make maps.      To be quite honest it sounds more difficult to me now than I would of thought.        Thanks again Gents.