Author Topic: One of the best speachs of modern president's....  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
One of the best speachs of modern president's....
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »
Bush Sr. had an approval rating of about 90% during the Gulf War, and he still lost to Clinton.  Clinton was pres. of the US for two terms. My poli-sci prof. (from San Fransico) said presidents win elections on foriegn policy and lose them on domestic.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
I see people posting about words here. I think the more important thing is actions. The actions taken since Tuesday have been rapid and aggressive. They were intended to stop terrorist acts in the immediate time frame and start the long term prohibition in motion.

FAA, Law Enforcement and Military went into action in the space of not days but minutes. I am not just talking about the New York response but around the nation. Thiose actions were taken in response to a Presidential directive. Further responses to include keying the American population as to what is going on and what the Govt. is doing about it is also the job of the President. I think he did a good job. Any who have studied war in the last century know that you must mobilize the population to support that effort. That was a job Kennedy and Johnson (especially Johnson) never got started. After Johnson lost the war he fobbed the job off to a successor and went to hide. It fell to Nixon to finish the damn thing after it was unwinnable on the home front, not the battlie line. Bush has made a great start in getting the country mobilized and he has done it without sugar coating or trivializing it. He knows it will likely be a long ard fight and he has let the nation know it too. In this case forwarned IS forarmed and the population of this country deserve to now the situation from the outset.

As to who was or is the best Presidential material??? I don't give a toejam people!!! I am tired of the talk here about hypothetical situations that don't mean jack! We have a real situation so deal with that and forget the extraneous roadkill. Go back to the useless ramblings after the world is settled and there are no important things to do.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2001, 04:40:00 AM »
Couldn't stand to read this all, sorry. The AH crowd can get a bit anal. (Understatment of the decade)

Anyway, Bush kicked ass. Stopped hockey crowds who cheered his speech. That's gotta be a first.

I was picking up food in a sports bar, people were glued, as was I.

The man defined a leader, and he's supposed to be a bad public speaker?

Makes me think in times of serious delivery, the guy shines. Beats the toejam out of being rusty in the slick bellybutton political run of the mill speech normalcy.

Give that cowboy a hat, I'm impressed. Looks like farming that Texas land served a hardened American resolve personality of sorts to fall back on.

I’m behind Bush and our country.

Pick him apart as you will, he delivered in spades.

Offline Crapgame

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.we-know-whats-right.blogpsot.com
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2001, 11:36:00 PM »
Nifty asked who here was a political science major. Well I majored in it and as a result I got usual dosage of political speech and rhetoric. I watched the President's speech twice that night, just to be certain about my initial reaction. I tell you that Ripsnort has it nailed. That speech will be quoted for as long as there is an America. I was moved near tears more than once during the course of the speech and based on my exposure to political science, I think it was the finest speech I've heard a President give in my lifetime. Outstanding. So many of you selling the President short. Well he became President being sold short, I reckon that if the enemy undetestimates him as well, we can capitalize on that...

Crapgame

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn:
Bush Sr. had an approval rating of about 90% during the Gulf War, and he still lost to Clinton.  Clinton was pres. of the US for two terms. My poli-sci prof. (from San Fransico) said presidents win elections on foriegn policy and lose them on domestic.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Bush Sr lost because he didn't draw out the war and invade Iraq. That would have keep the dumocrats from running up the spending here at home which caused him to eat his words"no new taxes" to cover their expense which they then so skillfully turned against him during the campaign thus the beginning of the worst 8 years of America's political history in recent time. But thanks for playing Thrawn, please come again...

ps

Take most things,cept mrfish  :), from San Fran with a grain of salt...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals