Author Topic: Aces High vs Pacific Fighters?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Aces High vs Pacific Fighters?
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn
You guys llike Nomak and the others that fly them both:

How did you set up your views?  Do you use trackir?  It seems like you really need it to make the most of PF.  I just can't get the view hats to work for me in PF - have taken to using the small mouse on my throttle (x45) as the mouse for views so I can look around while flying.  It is still a PITA and no where near as smoth as using the view hats in AH.
IF you have any clues or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I didnt have to much trouble setting the views up to my hat.  You are aware that you need to go into "Controls" to set up views and hot keys correct?

One thing that helped me was setting the snap-view speed to a faster setting.  If you go Start/my computer/c drive/program files/il2 fb/confg and then look there you will find something that says "Hookview speed" or something like that (I am not at home or I could tell you for sure) it is default set at "6" delete the "6" and make it "10".  Your snap views will then be 40% faster.

No I do not use trackr.  Although when playing IL2 and especially LOMAK it can really help.

Like Dippa said your best resource is the IL2 messege boards.  Heres a link   IL2

c yas up.... Dave

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
oh and all IL2 games are rubbish in comparison to aceshigh in every single aspect.

the terrain looks better for AH, and remember, it is fully modeled to take a ground war not just look good from 10k.

the rgraphics on IL2 are too soft and blurry.

AH is clear, crisp and it feel to me that its pretty geometrically acurate.

someone mentioned that the dots of far planes turn into shapes soon in IL2, but have you never noticed how when it gets to 1000yrds its morphs down a size in pixels to get back scale?

AH is a cartoon in comparison. And your welcome to the 500 player lagfest arena.  
Paid a played AH for years, but you know what, it wasnt the game that bored me to tears at the end. It was what the community morphed into over time.  

p.s. I like cartoons too.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »
Peepz who don't pay should be banned......
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2005, 03:03:43 PM »
I have played Il2 (FB/AEP/PF) almost everyday since its first beta (stalling that P-39 left and right). I just left a full real (difficulty actually, there is no 'real' in a game) server where there were 58 folks (server limit set at 70 folks but they can set it as high as 150). However, the maps are small compared to AH and on most severs they only enable 2 or 3 fields per side. What you end up, with even with just a 32 man server, is a furball between the airfields.

The so-called 'view system' (what a dumb word) is the same 'system' that was used in these games from time eternal. The exception is "AH". Both AH the IL2 franchise have things that make them great and things that suck.

AH is a great game, so is Il2/FB/AEP/PF (well if you bought stand alone PF I can understand why you hate it). AH and Il2 don't necessarily compete for players. Most of those who bought IL2 and the add-ons would never pay a monthly subscription to play a game. Oleg has said that only 10% of the folks who purchased Il2 play it online.

I have trackIR and have had it since it first came out and have no issues with the views in Il2 (or AH2). If you are having problems mapping your hat within the game just go into your settings (...\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Users\doe) and edit the text file:

Under snap view and/or pan view (whatever you use or set up both). You can also speed up (or slow down) your head movement speed in snap view by going into the config.ini and and changing this line:

Speed=XXX (under HookView Config)

I don't have a hat mapped and don't recall what the default setting is. However, set X a lower number to speed up head movement, higher to slow it down.

Anyway to each his own...

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:22 AM »
Thanks to Nomak and the others who replied.  Yes, I had also asked for help on the IL2 boards and ultimately got my answer there.
I have all three games (IL2-FB-PF) installed.
My problem was that I needed to enter all the setting twice in each box to clear out the old ones, otherwise it left two setings in.
I ended up rpogramming the view keys to the number pad, then using the Saitek SST software to assign the views to those keys.  Only thing is there is no direct 6 view as in AH, and to go from loking back right to back left, you have to go back thru the front.  No cutting accross the back like AH.  I know some people claim AH is not 'realistic" in that respect, but it sure makes it easier to track the other a/c at times.
Anyway, now have things set up to a reasonable facsimile of my AH controls, so I don't get too confused when switching between them.
Thanks again to all who posted ideas and help!:aok

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2005, 08:16:57 AM »
skjohn
you will find that time in pf will improve your aim & hit % in AH
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals