Author Topic: The KINGCOBRA.  (Read 737 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:28:31 AM »
Ok, we all heard that the P39 being wished for and I agree. I think it would see more use than for instance the P40 and other queens.
But how about the P63? I just read up about it to find out that although it looks similar, it is a new development.
It would fit the MA nicely. A mean gun package (4x.50 + 37mm) and 410 mph at 25K, not so sure of climb but it has a decent altitude performance, and was told to be quite agile.
Comments?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:27:20 AM »
With most furballs happening on the deck, most of the Cobras would be well at home in the MA. However, any version using the American-made 37mm would be at a disadvantage due to balistics not dissimilar from a rat launched from an air-cannon.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:26:40 AM »
Well, you have 4x.50 cal's to go with it.
Imagine the Yak tankbuster,- it just has some ping-pong balls after the slugs are gone ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 01:44:13 PM »
P63 is a plane we should have.  Here's the on I'd really like though...

http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/XP-39.html

It turns out the P39 was a decent plane before the military got it's hands on it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Why should we have the P-63?  The effect on the course of WWII by the C.205 and N1K2-J are huge when compared with the effect of the P-63.  The P-63 is a non-entity in terms of WWII, probably less of one than even the Ta152.

Now a few versions of the P-39 I can understand and get behind, but the P-63, no.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:49:34 PM »
Originally posted by Tails
With most furballs happening on the deck, most of the Cobras would be well at home in the MA. However, any version using the American-made 37mm would be at a disadvantage due to balistics not dissimilar from a rat launched from an air-cannon.

You've never shot a rat out of an air cannon. With enough co2 and a long barrel, you can put about half the rat through a wall.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:54:38 PM »
The 37mm on the P-39 is quite low muzzle velocity and the RoF is also pretty slow, slower than the NS-37 on the Yak-9T.  As a comparison I have listed the basic stats of the MF/FF as carried by the Bf109E-4 and Bf110C-4 (not the gun carried by things like the Bf109G-2 or Fw190D-9) in comparison with the Hispano Mk II in the first group.  The scond group lists the M4 37mm cannon of the P-39 as compared to the NS-37 on the Yak-9T.  You can see how even the tremendously different MG/FF and Hispano Mk II are claser together than the M4 and NS-37.

20 X 80RB MG/FF 20mm cannon: 600 m/sec muzzle velocity
20 X 110 HS404 20mm cannon: 880 m/sec muzzle velocity

37 X 145R M4 37mm cannon: 610 m/sec muzzle velocity
37 X 195 NS-37 37mm cannon: 900 m/sec muzzle velocity
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 05:12:23 PM »
You can still not discard 4x50 cal.
And the plane was quite fast and very very robust.
Entirely an eastern front ride I belive but in some numbers yes?
At least the P39 was. This is just a P39 on steroids.
Lots of the artwork would be similar or the same.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 05:20:48 PM »
Here's a neat picture of the drivetrain and cannon of the P39

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/engines/eng2.htm

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
The KINGCOBRA.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
Originally posted by Skilless
Here's a neat picture of the drivetrain and cannon of the P39

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/engines/eng2.htm

Waitasec... Is that the same gun that our PT boat has?
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)