Author Topic: Base flashing when radar is down  (Read 591 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Base flashing when radar is down
« on: November 08, 2005, 08:14:46 PM »
Sometimes when radar is down, a friendly base will continue to flash when cons are near. Other times, the sky may be completely obscured by the horde of red -- and nothing's falshing, town or base.

What's the difference?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »
when dar is down a base should still flash and you will still see a dar bar, only thing is that you will not see any dots showing NME numbers. as for the other queston...i'm at a loss also. i see that alot. even at times see a base get captured and it never falshed once on my screen:rolleyes:
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:55:37 PM »
Bases that were already under attack before you logged in don't flash. If the enemy is forced out of blinking range and then re-enters, it will flash. You computer has to recieve the initial "Oh jeeze, here they come" message from the base before it displays the flash.

The entire idea of base flashing is based on citizens reporting in that there is something on the way; hence blinking for GVs, dead-dar bases, and below dar aircraft.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:20:56 PM »
OOZ662,
I'm not buying your explanation. I log in all the time and bases are flashing right away. According to your explanation there should be NO bases flashing when I log in. They would only start flashing later when attacked. That's not what happens.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »
Well, I never have any bases flashing when I log in.

Next time, watch it. First all of the dots blink in 10,10; then the bases with dead radars start turning red and in that time, a base might start flashing. But none are flashing upon login.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 11:29:58 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:32 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662

The entire idea of base flashing is based on citizens reporting in that there is something on the way; hence blinking for GVs, dead-dar bases, and below dar aircraft.

Well why can't those damn citizens point at the planes and tanks once the radar is down?

I mean sure... blink blink... But if 'Ted Rutherford' is calling HQ saying "hey, there is a tiger in my barn" I think we should get a freakin DOT!!!
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 04:52:56 AM »
Im not sure about this but: When bases are very heavily damaged, they seem to stop flashing as well. (Cant say what exactly has to be down for it to stop. town maybe?)

OOZ, i didnt know that about the flashing system. Very inetresting. And i usually give my map one or two minitues after login anyway, to settle down. (Until the sector bars get stable).

But ive seen bases that were swarmed by red planes not flashing. After more than two hours online....

Another thing i noticed: The flashing seems to lag sometimes. Ie theres a single enemy plane in range. Base flashes. I shoot him myself, base stops flashing immediatly. Someone else shoots the red guy, base flashes for about half a minute longer...
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:16:49 PM »
I've suspected a connection between degree of damage and "flashability", too Schatzi. I've tended to notice the nonflash when bases are heavily capped, which often happens late in the pork cycle.

When I log, I get the impression that the map situation is updating one detail at a time -- this circle down, that plane in flight, this base flashing -- but I've not suspected that teh "start flashing" order was  a one time event, so I'll ahve to watch.

I've also noted the persisting flash after a kill -- and I think that has to do with the pilot being counted as an enemy. If the guy bails, the base keeps flashing till he's gone. If someone else gets the kill, I bet my FE jsut needs to hang out until the server sends the all points broadcast that the enemy is dead -- and thats when the falshign stops.

Would love to hear something definitive -- if anybody knows the answer for sure.

If no one does, could we maybe get clarification from the HTC team?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »
Mostly off topic but a shade of relavency. When I've been forced to eject someone from the TA and they are inside the radar circle of A1 the base will continue to flash for what seems like forever. I'm talking hours here which seems like way to long for the alert to last. They only way I've ever been able to clear the 'ejection flashing' is to up an enemy plane and reneter the radar circle and crash. I wonder if when an enemy discos inside a radar circle and is visable to radar if a similar thing might happen. That might explain some of the bases flashing that aren't being attacked but not a no-flash situation.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 08:00:53 AM »
Theory -- does the base/town stop falshing when the town is down?

If so, could be really useful...

Offline Crispy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.thegreenmountainboys.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 06:24:55 PM »
I all ways wondered if HT has the all knowing, seeing all bad guys any time radar flashing field technology under heavy guard as any advanced alien civilization would covet such power............. :rolleyes:   Kinda eliminates effective use of many authentic ww2 stratigies.

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Bases that were already under attack before you logged in don't flash. If the enemy is forced out of blinking range and then re-enters, it will flash. You computer has to recieve the initial "Oh jeeze, here they come" message from the base before it displays the flash.

I agree with this. This is an old bug, it has been around since AH1. It also applies to other system messages, like who has control of a cv. If someone took control before you logged in, you won't see any name in the ships panel, yet you won't be able to take control yourself either (if they outrank you).