Author Topic: Question about post-war germany  (Read 243 times)

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Question about post-war germany
« on: November 26, 2005, 07:32:38 AM »
what happened to the german army and luftwaffe after the war? what changed and what stayed the same? for instance: did they keep their big tanks like the panther and tiger? did the luftwaffe keep the same fighters and bombers?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 07:34:02 AM »
i don't think they had any armed forces immediately after the war.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:00:26 AM »
The Bundeswehr was established in 1955 after heavy discussions about re-militarizing Germany (the Wiederbewaffnung) after World War II. After an amendment of the constitution ("Grundgesetz", Basic Law) West Germany became a member of NATO in 1955.

As its symbol the Bundeswehr uses a form of the Iron Cross. The Iron Cross has a long history, having been awarded as a military war time decoration for all ranks since 1813, and earlier associations with the Teutonic knights. Former German military organisations have been the Reichswehr (1921-1935) and the Wehrmacht (1935-1945). The Bundeswehr does not consider itself as their successor and does not follow traditions of any former German military organisation. The official Bundeswehr tradition is based on three major subjects:

the defence reformers at the beginning of the 19th century such as Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Clausewitz
the members of the military resistance against Hitler such as Claus von Stauffenberg
its own tradition since 1955
In 1956, conscription for all men between 18 and 45 in years was introduced, later on augmented by the introduction of a civil alternative with longer duration (see Conscription in Germany).

During the Cold War the Bundeswehr was the backbone of NATO's conventional defence in Central Europe. It had a strength of 495,000 military and 170,000 civilian personnel. The Army consisted of three corps with 12 divisions, most of them heavily armed with tanks and APCs. The Air Force owned major numbers of tactical combat aircraft and took part in NATOs integrated air defence (NATINAD). The Navy was tasked and equipped to defend the Baltic Approaches and to contain the Soviet Baltic Fleet.

After reunification in 1990, the Bundeswehr absorbed parts of the Nationale Volksarmee of the GDR, which was being dissolved.

In 1999, the NATO war on Yugoslavia in Kosovo was the first offensive conflict in which the German military actively took part since the Second World War.

In 2000 the European Court of Justice opened up the previously all-male (besides medical divisions and the music corps) Bundeswehr to women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 04:46:31 PM »

This one was Harttman's or painted to look like it was

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »
they should have been able to keep their 262s.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »
Just like the Japanese after WWII, Germany was DISARMED and DEMILITARISED under the terms of UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER.  T

hat includes chopping and destroying...
Panzers, Junker bombers, 109s, 190s, A6M zeroes, Betty bombers, Jap and Germ battleships, jap aircraft carriers, cheap paper made jap tanks, 262s, and 243s (add more if i'm still missing an item:))

The allies disarmed all the axis powers after WWII :)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 06:11:02 PM »
Many in the Luftwaffe ended up going to Argentina after the war, they helped create their airforce as paid consultants. The social and government arrangement was similar to Germany in the 1930s with 'El Lider' Juan Peron.

From what I remember, the value of the Argentina currency fell sharply and the country once again fell into military obscurity.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »
AFAIK there was at least one regiment of  Fw-190D9s in VVS after the War.

Italian navy was divided between allies, for example Giulio Cesare battleship was renamed to Novorossiysk and served in the Black Sea Fleet until it blew up and sank in 1955.