Author Topic: TrackIR4 6DoF Black Shark Vid  (Read 421 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
TrackIR4 6DoF Black Shark Vid
« on: November 17, 2005, 07:51:25 PM »
http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/games/LockOn-BlackShark-6DOF-Demo.wmv  

BlackShark, 1.2 version of LOMAC which is scheduled to be release in March 2006, will incorporate 6DOF. It looks mighty impressive, although doesn’t Aces High already come supported by 6DOF?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 08:29:45 PM »
That looks sweet.

According to this page, it does support AH2 6DOF.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-aces-high-2.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 08:34:04 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:01:08 PM »
One question... isn't hard to shoot using TrackIR?

Or do you get a feel for the gunsight without actually looking straight down it during a shot?
sand

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:50:57 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman

Or do you get a feel for the gunsight without actually looking straight down it during a shot?
I’m not sure what you are asking. I have TrackIR3 Pro, none VE, and I have no problem shooting at all. (I mostly fly LOMAC and IL2/PF)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:17:01 PM »
MY GOD!  TrackIR rules.  

I also have TIR3 Pro with vector expansion and it turns AH into an entirely new game.  You'll need to force yourself to leave it enabled & pound through as if its a new stick.  Took me a long time cos I'd cheat and disable it in a sticky fight... still do in a huge furball.  I shelved it for a few months, brought it back since the last patch and I'm loving it.  Still feels a bit awkward lining up a target, but you may be surprised at how accurate you can be.  I notice a big difference in leading a shot with TIR on and off.  High deflections in AH are a breeze; just lean forward and raise your head a bit.  

Aces High is the only game I use the full 6DOF.  Il2/FB/AEP/PF still suck with the head-on-stick views, but TIR makes it slightly bearable with pitch and yaw view control.

But that game looks ****in great.  BlackShark?  Is that a big conversion to 6DOF cockpits in LOMAC or what?  I will definitely be purchasing that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 11:20:08 PM by Octavius »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman

If set up TrackIR so that there's a deadband in the centered position (gun sight view) all you do is simply 'rest' back into that position.

You can map a button to your JS for track IR functions. I mapped TrackIR to one of my HAT switches. I no longer have 'HAT buttons' mapped in any of the games that supports TrackIR for views. Before a session you sit comfortably, about arms length from the the IR device, center your position and go. Inevitably you shift about but you can re-center while in game.

You don't really need to move your head a lot. Pre-6DOF it was more about leaning body then turning your head. I have TrackIR 4 on order from  go gamer.com just because they offer a free game with purchase. See this SimHQ thread:

GoGamer.com Exclusive: TrackIR 4 + Free Game

If you order directly from Natural Point you get a free Hat or Visor (you need a cap for the Vector Clip, you can mount the clip to your headset but mine fits too loosely).

TrackIR 4 is $179 USD + shipping at both places. With TrackIR you don't need to buy the Vector clip separately. Shipping started today...

Offline 345

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:39:36 PM »
According to a email I just got from gogamer.com starting Monday the 19th if you use the coupon code SIMHQ30 and are purchasing the model without the free game you get $30 off the normal 179.90 price.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 04:30:10 PM »
TrackIR sucks as it's limited to forward view monitors. VR glasses rock.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ReHeel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 10:13:51 AM »
the TrackIR4 Pro I just got works great in all axes except pitch

can't get the thing to work right when I look up - the view jumps

if I could get the pitch axis to work smoothly like the yaw axis does, this thing would be wonderful

(I'm a newbie so don't have to relearn from the pov hat method you vets are used to)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 10:31:37 AM »
Originally posted by ReHeel
the TrackIR4 Pro I just got works great in all axes except pitch

can't get the thing to work right when I look up - the view jumps

if I could get the pitch axis to work smoothly like the yaw axis does, this thing would be wonderful

(I'm a newbie so don't have to relearn from the pov hat method you vets are used to)
Start TrackIR software and open “Tracking” window. If you notice that bright colored blob disappears when moving around, it means that reflective device is out of angle; it is not pointing at TrackIR, or out of FOV. Fix it and issue will be resolved.

Offline ReHeel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »
thanks for the feedback

I've checked the window you mentionned and it seems to be picking up the vector reflective device (vector is on my hat) OK

there's another window that lets you see how your head movements are translated into what TrackIR calls the "in game head", and that seems to be OK too

I've tried raising the camera on top of my monitor by putting something under it, so maybe I'll play around with that some more to change the vector angle a little

I've got a pretty big dead zone set for each axis, maybe that has something to do with the problem; I've played around with different profiles quite a bit

I only have a problem with the pitch axis, all the other axes work fine.  Even copied the profile for the yaw axis to the pitch axis, but it still jumps when I try to look up out of the canopy...