Author Topic: Think you got it rough? Read about those in Communist North Korea  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Think you got it rough? Read about those in Communist North Korea
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
 http://english.hk.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=hke/headlines/010419/world/afp/Russia_and_US_in_war_of_words_over_media_freedoms.html

If I lived in Russia I'd be worried about the return of communism.  I've read that the communist party is about to become the smallest party in the Duma.  Hopefuly for you guys the new majority party wont bring back the "Pravda" type government controlled media.  I hope you guys chose to stay free over there, but the stuff I read in the above article doesn't seem to point in that direction...

Udie

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
 "Easymo, you don't have a monopoly on Democracy"

Ya, but you have that whole Queen thing. Whats up with that.

We have queens also. But they have little in common with your royalty....except maybe the tiara

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
<sigh> I've lost count of how many times I've explained that the Queen is not an absolute monarch anymore. She is a figurehead only and has no practical power. It's called a Constitutional Monarchy. The real power has been in the hands of the Prime Minister for the last 200 years.

As for democracy - We have the 'Mother of all Parliaments'. Although I guess that isn't saying much.  

Our monarchy is there to keep the tourist trade going and help the tabloids keep their circulation up. But the way they have disgraced themselves in the last 20 years, they will be gone pretty soon.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline sshh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »

If I lived in Russia I'd be worried about the return of communism. I've read that the communist party is about to become the smallest party in the Duma. Hopefuly for you guys the new majority party wont bring back the "Pravda" type government controlled media. I hope you guys chose to stay free over there, but the stuff I read in the above article doesn't seem to point in that direction...

Udie

I think it's not about free media. It is about money (actually about US dollars   ). Just like if Ford would whine about "free American cars" in situation when they cant make profit selling cars and Toyota decided to buy them. Now "free speach fighters" jumped off that NTV channel and the very next day they are on another channel (TV6) rendering guys working there almost jobless. That is what I hate most in it.
NTV was really nice channel with always great picture and quick news and all that. I hope it will stay same as about half of old guys did not leave it.

[This message has been edited by sshh (edited 04-20-2001).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2001, 02:19:00 AM »
  Dow. I think you mother is a Roman granddaughter.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
More likely to be of French origin actually, and my father's family history is probably Scandinavian or German.

But I'll let the insult to my patronage slide.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
'Mother of all Parliaments'