Author Topic: QuickTime Movie Editor  (Read 119 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
QuickTime Movie Editor
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »
My Nikon Coolpix 8400 arrived today.  One of its selling points to me is its movie modes.  Most MiniDV camcorders only take 320x240 resolution movies.  My new Nikon takes 640x480 resolution movies at 30fps (as do many other still cameras).  The quality is fantastic; they are about 1 MB a second though.  

Anyway, when I downloaded the clips off the camera I saw that they were QuickTime.  My first thought was, “Oh crap, that’s right.  It takes movies in QuickTime.”  I use a freeware/GNU program to view QuickTime flicks so that it doesn’t screw with the rest of my system.  After playing around with it though, I’m pretty impressed.  I’d even dare say that it’s better than WMP format.  My problem is that I use Windows Movie Maker to edit clips.  Now I need something else because WMM doesn’t recognize the enemy.

So, if you’ve ever edited QuickTime movies, please make recommendations (or bash) whatever program you have used.  I generally choose free programs over fancy ones.  All I need is basic length and clip editing, titles and transitions.

Thanks,

eskimo

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: QuickTime Movie Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:43:54 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
My Nikon Coolpix 8400 arrived today.  One of its selling points to me is its movie modes.  Most MiniDV camcorders only take 320x240 resolution movies.  My new Nikon takes 640x480 resolution movies at 30fps (as do many other still cameras).  The quality is fantastic; they are about 1 MB a second though.

My new casio does the same, cept they are MJPEG in AVI format. The 640x480 movies seem to be a bit jerky in some parts, particularly with a lot of motion so don't biff out your camcorder yet.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
QuickTime Movie Editor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:32:05 AM »
Vulcan if they're jerky you're probably not filming in 30fps. I agree that quicktime can have nice quality, but I hate the format because of the player. It's so lame that they bundled Itunes with QT downloads now.. It's also lame that once you install QT it hogs file associations automatically.

I use Mediaplayer classic and realplayer/quicktime alternatives.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone