Author Topic: Pilot View Settings and .hps (?) files  (Read 569 times)

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
Pilot View Settings and .hps (?) files
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
A suggestion for the great AH II view system.

Currently, everyone who downloads and installs the AH II software must adjust their views for each plane to see around canopy frames, aft bulkheads and head rests, or else fly at a serious disadvantage.

Why not offer the AH software with already configured .hps (?) files for easy viewing, especially aft, out of all planes.

While there may be a minor issue of "individual taste," my guess is that most people do not want to stare straight into a canopy frame. So why not use files that start out giving a good, unobstructed view from the cockpit. Then if anyone still wants to tweak their views, the save view feature is still available to do it.

At least in this way helpless newbies will be able to see, and also if anyone has to reinstall they won't have to reconfig 20+ views times 70 planes.

Best Regards

Cement

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
there are view packs out there to DL if you want them. the thing is, people have different preferences, so it's best to have neutral defaults, and let them set their views for themselves

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:22:52 AM »
best to have neutral defaults

I don't think your read carefully.
No one wants to look at canopy frames or aft bulkheads, and I think most people, especially new subscribers, want to avoid adding hassle on hassle by having to look around for viewpacks to DL somewhere. New subscribers already have a load to learn and configure.

The idea is to make life easier "Out Of The Box" (after download). Sure, for experienced subscribers, they'll save their settings folders if they reinstall, and people with "personal preferences" are going to adjust their views no matter what view is default. But there are people with less PC experience, or little time to geek around folders and files, or little desire to tweak every view of 70 planes.

Better default views would be extremely simple to implement, help new subscribers see out, and not impede anyone else who will change their view settings anyway.

Best Regards.

Cement

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:40:20 AM »
Had to explain this to 3 out of 3 first weekers last week.  One did not have a mic, and it was an ordeal to get him to understand I was not talking about him setting up the hat switch on his stick.  There is some room for improvement in communicating to new players that there are more options than stairing back at their seat padding from 3 inches away.

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 03:50:26 AM »
cc Murdr

My guess is that when CT comes out, there will be an influx of new subscribers, at least for tryout. If simple things to improve their game experience are implemented, then they are more likely to stick around after the two weeks. An optimum default view out the back of the plane would be a big help. From what I understand CT is going to start out with P-47 D11s and 109s - i.e. planes with canopy frames that need a lot of adjustment to see out very well. If the views of those planes were already set, then you've saved a head ache for new players.

Best regards.

Cement