Author Topic: Cunningham gets 8 years plus  (Read 467 times)

storch

Cunningham gets 8 years plus
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 06:40:27 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Gotta learn to get bought off before you get elected, and by people with real money like the saudis.
what ever do you mean?

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 07:11:58 AM »
Originally posted by storch
what ever do you mean?

He means that if you get bought off by people of great wealth, they can also buy off the people who would be watching you , and so on, and so  on, until one day, these people actually controlled the entire govt. and hence, military.   That could never happen here, though.  We are to sophisticated and honest.  Also, we go to church.  That makes us immune to material temptations such as....  billions of dollars of untracable cash, unbelievable power influence,  playing with peoples lives like a cat with a mouse, looting national treasurys just to tighten ones grip on the peoples testicles, etc., ect.,  things that happen in dictatorship countries.  Not here.:)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 07:12:27 AM »
It's the fact that he WAS somewhat of a HERO to me being an ACE an all. THAT is the MOST disappointing factor to me. It just really sucks when people you look up to turn out to be crooks

Exactly...
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 09:24:46 AM »
all that power corrupts...

All that access to money corrupts...

It would take an exceptional man to not be corrupted.

I don't think any of our politicians are exceptional men.

We need to trim government down to a size that can be watched.

lazs

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
i know a man who served with the triple nickle in nam with Cunningham. before this scandal he would speak glowingly of the now discrased man. now it seems as though all his stories have a black cloud over them.

i am not rich nor poor, i do not fear jail nor hell nor death. i obey the laws because it is the right thing to do (except weed and liqure, that dont count tho). every time i get in a car i buckle my seatbelt. every time i see somebody drop money accidentally i pick it up and give it back to them. i do these things because it betters the world we all live in. and though i may not make much of a difference, there is at least 5 people that i can remember who have been able to buy lunch because i got their money back to them instead of taking it for myself. and there are 3 instances where a seatbelt has saved the life of somebody who i reminded to put one on.

storch

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
IIRC Cunningham served in the Navy aboard the USS Constellation with VF96.  The 555th flew out of Thailand though I don't recall what base, probably Udorn
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:50:36 AM by storch »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 09:58:13 AM »
smidsy... you are welcome to put on a seatbelt and I will not be offended if you remind me to.   But....  I will make up my own mind.  My government has no right to tell me to wear one.  If that makes me a criminal then so be it.

lazs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
Originally posted by storch
IIRC Cunningham served in the Navy aboard the USS Constellation with VF96.  The 555th flew out of Thailand though I don't recall what base, probably Udorn

Yes, Cunningham flew with VF-96. Cunningham later became friends with Richard (Steve) Ritchie (5 kill ace) who flew with the 555th. This may be the guy SMIDSY is referring to.

Cunningham's F-4J, a modified skin from Wings Over Vietnam.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:45:14 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »
Lotsa politicans were at one time lawyers, accountants, business CEO's.. Duke just happened to be a pilot.... and from all accounts was a heluva good one.

I kinda doubt Duke saw himself as a crook.. he was just doing what most other politicans do. And, he got caught.

Doesn't make him any less of a hero in the war.. just makes him another dirty politican now.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.