Author Topic: Taxpayers to pay $700,000 a year  (Read 561 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Taxpayers to pay $700,000 a year
« on: January 31, 2001, 11:22:00 AM »
WASHINGTON, Jan. 30 —  Bill Clinton is out of office, but he’s not without an office. Soon the former president will be renting the entire 56th floor — 8300 square feet — in Manhattan’s luxurious Carnegie Towers. The Web ad for the building says it has spectacular views and “white glove” service.

SOURCES SAID the rental cost of more than $700,000 a year will be charged to the taxpayer — more than all of the other former presidents’ offices combined.
       “President Clinton’s office space would shatter all previous records for former presidents, who are already living high on the taxpayer tab,” said Pete Sepp of the National Taxpayers Union.
       No one questions that Clinton needs an office. All former presidents get them for life.
       But critics ask, how much should the government spend? Former President Bush’s Houston office rents for $147,000 a year, Ronald Reagan’s Los Angeles office for $285,000, Jimmy Carter’s Atlanta office for $93,000 and Gerald Ford’s office near Palm Springs for $99,000.
       Key members of Congress say Clinton’s cost is way out of line.
       “He may well push the envelope into an area where the Congress decides we need to put some limitation on that,” said Rep. Jim Kolbe, R-Ariz., chairman of the House appropriations subcommittee.
       Clinton aides say expensive rentals are just a fact of life in New York.  
  But this is only the latest stumble for former president — not including when Buddy knocked him over. There have also been been lavish gifts and the last-minute pardon of fugitive financier Marc Rich. Even Carter criticized that, telling Jay Leno, “No effort had been made to get the Justice Department to investigate or to approve the pardon, it was just done at the last minute, in the middle of the night.”
       And all this put Hillary Clinton on the defensive as she launches her Senate career.
       “The White House years, the administration of my husband, are over and I am going to be focused solely on the job that I can do to help New York,” the former first lady said at a news conference Monday.
       Aides said Bill Clinton will make his first paid speech next week, getting at least $100,000 — top dollar, which is what critics say he’s charging the taxpayer for his office.  
 www.msnbc.com/news/524053.asp#BODY

Anyone else think this is excessive?

The waste continues ...............

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

-towd_

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
is there a target date for yall to stop squeakin about the ex pres? you guys are like a broken record. you see no problem spending 50 million bucks to bust him getting a blowjob .( bout 60 years rent there lol) with the net effect of nothing . have fun ,

what is your guy doing now cutting rich folks taxes? or abolishing the seperation of church and state?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Keep defending him towd, just keep defending him. Too bad there isn't a check box on my taxes to exclude one red cent from this idiot's latest waste. Yea, right, he's looking after the best interest of the "American people". The guy is laughing all the way to the bank, glad to hear you are ok with it towd. But then again never thought much of your viewpoint anyway.
And yes, I'll post every item of abuse I find on this crook. Kind of a civic duty ..

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
This next year is going to be the big news year, we'll get to see what he actually was doing in the White house these last 8 years...keep the post coming Eagler, I read them and enjoy them...

As far as expense?  I think the Real estate market holds the cards for that...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by -towd_:
is there a target date for yall to stop squeakin about the ex pres? you guys are like a broken record. you see no problem spending 50 million bucks to bust him getting a blowjob .( bout 60 years rent there lol) with the net effect of nothing . have fun ,

what is your guy doing now cutting rich folks taxes? or abolishing the seperation of church and state?

Towd,

I suppose you figure the expense for that was strictly a Republican responsibility. How about this view. I think more than half of it is clintoons fault. All he had to do was state, Yep I did it, I'm sorry and it won't happen again. No felonious perjury and no major expense. Of course that would mean clintoon would have had the moral courage to admit he was wrong and made a mistake. Instead he magnified the situation with more lies and denials, so of course it's all the fault of those trying to hold a government employee (elected or not) responsible for his actions. If he had done a Jesse Jackson it would have blown over in a couple weeks.

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 01-31-2001).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
Sorry guys...you're wasting your breath.

Honesty, Integrity and Character just don't register with this particular individual.

Lying under oath? That's NOT ok?

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pitifully representative of the state to which our populace has fallen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

SwampRat

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2001, 02:28:00 AM »
Clinton sucks, sucked, and got sucked.  That his legacy and the ONLY thing anyone 100 years from now will have to say about him!!...I think it's GRAND LOL  

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2001, 05:33:00 AM »
There is something strange for a foreigner like me : what is the role of the congress and the senate in USA ? is that an asssembly of old guys sleeping ?

And if I've good memory the majority in ths both chamber was Rep no ?
I don't now exactly how your "démocratie" works but if (as I read from eagler rip and other) all the decisions are done by the president so each 4 year you elect a dictatator ?

But critics ask, how much should the government spend? Former President Bush’s Houston office rents for $147,000 a year, Ronald Reagan’s Los Angeles office for $285,000, Jimmy Carter’s Atlanta office for $93,000 and Gerald Ford’s office near Palm Springs for $99,000.

Comparing price from 70's 80's and 90's is STUPID ,No need to have a Noble price to understand that.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
It is easy Straffo, our democracy works like this:

Our Congressmen and Seantors sleep till their "I gotta get this Bill passed or the guys who paid for my election will be pissed and will not give me a bundle of money for the next campaign"  Bill comes up for a vote.

Our election process is also simple:

CNN tells the Democrats who to vote for.

The Republicans vote for the guy who says, but usually does not mean it "I want the government out of your life"

Then the guy who manages to get the most votes usually wins but not always.

Now, the Democrats usually do well in the cities because, even though the Dems have created a zillion new jobs over the last 8 years the city dwellers for some reason do not get them and have nothing better to do so they vote in large numbers....if the buses are running or the Dems get enough vans out to get them to the polls.

The Republicans live in the countryside and the suburbs of the cities and vote if their Mercedes is not in the shop and it is not raining.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
 I saw on the CBS Early Morning Show today that bubba will be paying 1/2 the bill for this.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
Sunchaser

You must have majored in political science  

Eagler

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2001, 03:25:00 AM »
Sunchaser it's awfull and funny :D

But that's the way the "Média" show us your election in France :(.
For me politics should be a "noble art" and not a profession.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
I agree that my above total simplification or our political process is awful.

I do believe though that when all the fat is ripped away it is basically what is left.

I totally agree Straffo that politics should be a noble art.

Unfortunately, it is mostly about personal power and money.

I do not pay much attention to politics anymore but I am sure many of our elected officials are honorable men and women and that most are not..

The sad fact is that the honorable ones are not newsworthy in todays news/ENTERTAINMENT industry that has degenerated into a video Enquirer/Jerry Springer format.

The fiasco displayed to the world in our last election was a proper finale to the last decade in American politics.

The only redeeming factor and a testament to our system is the fact that it ended peacefully.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?