Author Topic: which version of omega drivers  (Read 287 times)

Offline bandit752

• Copper Member
which version of omega drivers
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:50:22 PM »
I was talking about this on another forum. But, Bringing it up here

I have the X800 and the opiniong here is that the Omgea Drivers
work best! I have calayst software install 6.5 and using the sapphire drivers. I would like to replace them with the omgea ones. I know I have to unistall the ones I have and I can do that from the ATI site unistall software.
K, which version should I download???

Offline bandit752

• Copper Member
drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »
I went to this site!
http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php

I saw the different versions and tried to search on here which is the best version for my card!
Thanks for the driver cleaner advice! I almost forgot about that!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:49:34 PM »
Bandit....it has been my experience to stick with the catalyst drivers.

I tried the Omegas....probably used at least 3 Omega drivers.  Even though I used a program called driver cleaner the Omegas fouled my system up enough that I had to reformat and start again.

Since then I've used nothing but the Catalyst Drivers and have been quite pleased with the results.

The only reason you should be upgrading your driver is:
Is your video unstable?  Screen locking up forcing you to reboot?

Most driver updates are made to usually...and I say usually make the driver work with specific games.  For instance you'll see as an example of a new driver update.  Fixed clipping in Quake 3 Arena. etc.

If you're doing it to improve framerate first check to see what refresh rate your monitor is set at.  Frame rate is refresh rate bound.  If you're refresh rate is 75, then that's the best you'll do for a framerate.  You can check your monitors refresh rate.  You'll have a drop down list of refresh rates your monitor can suppot.  If you're able to increase your refresh rate do so.  But don't force a refresh rate on your monitor that it can't support!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:56:58 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline bandit752

• Copper Member
fLICKERING!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:19:56 AM »
Hello and thanks for the response.
I understand what you are saying about using the different drivers.
last night I already did use the omega drivers.
The reason why I changed drivers is because I expereince a flickering or shuttering during a battle. The screen jumps. The omega drivers didnt help and the shuttering is stil lthere.
I did notice a few things with the new omega set. The frame rates stay a a constant 74-75. Teh calayst drivers they moved anywhere from 40-140
The refresh rate on the monitors are set at 85hz.
I have dual monitors and when using AH I used the second monitor as a cloned one. It was just nicer having the two monitors.
I havent yet figured out how to use the second monitor with the Omega drivers.
It appears that the screen is more stable really dont know yet!!
During the install I did get a error on installation, syaing It couldn't find certain things, but according to install instructions, just keep going.
Anyway! I still have the shuttering problem during battle.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
turn vsync on . your fps in level open sky should be right at your mon refresh hz
( 85 fps @ 85hz)

seeing  a 140 fps means vsync is off
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation