Author Topic: Automotive trivia (14)  (Read 337 times)

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
Automotive trivia (14)
« on: February 15, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
Duesenberg is my favorite manufacturer of the era. The SSJ was their fastest model but there is no definite information on their performance as far as I know. Duesenberg's next fastest model was the SJ and there are well documented statistics on the SJ's performance. Can anyone tell me how fast the car would go in second gear and what the top speed was.

PS I got my numbering system all screwed up.  

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 02-15-2001).]

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Automotive trivia (14)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
I don't know the answer to that Jimdandy, but I did learn recently on the history channel that the term, "thats a real Duezy" comes from this automobile...

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Automotive trivia (14)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
The duzzy, you only bought the chassis then had it sent to the coach works for a custom body.  Don't know how fast but if I remember right it had the torque to run 7 mph in high gear with no lugging

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
Automotive trivia (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
The Duezy was a real Duezy.     It would still be considered a very nice running car today. It was capable of 104mph in second gear and a top speed of 140mph. It had a turbo charger that produced 5psi of boots at 4000rpm and after the "rams horn" exhaust manifold was added it would produce 400bhp. It also had tubular steel connecting rods. Great cars. The two SSJ's were built by E.L. Cord's Union City Body Company and had a short 125in wheelbase. The 1st one went to Gary Cooper and the second to Clark Gable. With the shorter wheelbase and lean bodies I bet they were very fast.

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 02-15-2001).]