Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 290 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Memorial Day
« on: May 24, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
To all,

Memorial day is fast approaching. This day honors those who have served their country. They didn't serve a private corporation. They weren't sacrificing for private money, goals or stocks. They served the country and the people who just happen to be citizens either by accident of birth or hard won choice. The even served those who aren't citizens of this country by trying to maintain Democracy and Freedom around the world.

These aren't my words. I wish I had this eloquence. I am not even sure if it is a true story as I got it forwarded to me some time ago. I think it is. Even if it is not, I have seen this ceremony and can attest to the sentiments involved.

To all Vets, living and gone.

<SALUTE>

A SOLDIER'S STORY  Voice of the People - Chicago Tribune - 19 September  1999
DETROIT -

My brother, Bruce Turnbull, recently died  in Germany. Bruce was a  1st Sergeant in the
United States Army. Bruce is  survived by his wife and  his 11-year-old son, our mother,
another brother and  a gaggle of nephews  and their wives.

We flew to Germany for the funeral. The next day  the family filled up three  station
wagons and we were driven to the training  base near Nuremberg. Led  by a military
police vehicle, we slowly moved  through the streets of the  base.  Each time we passed a
group of soldiers, they  snapped to attention and  saluted. Conversation in the vehicles
slowed, then  it stopped altogether.  We moved around a great sweeping curve and the
parade ground stretched  before us. Six hundred twenty men and women of the  United
States Army  stood, at solemn attention in immaculate uniforms,  as far as the eye could
see. This was not our world. This was the holy  world of 1st Sgt. Bruce  Turnbull, 1st
Battalion, 4th Infantry Division,  United States Army. And  the soldiers had come to say
farewell to their own.

Bruce looked like a poster for today's Army. He was  6 foot 1, tan and  about 180 pounds.
We all loved him. He was easy to  love. He had a  sense of humor that seemed to make
him irresistible  to young people.  Bruce got the youngest soldiers, he got the hard  cases,
the lonely kids and  the lost souls who, seemingly, didn't have anywhere  else to go. They
went  to Bruce. There wasn't a Christmas or a Thanksgiving we'd  call, wherever he was
stationed, when there wasn't some new,  gawky-as-a-chicken, 2nd Lieutenant  from West
Point or Virginia Military Institute or  Texas Christian  University or the Big Ten, as part
of the gathering  around the table.
For one week in Germany, we were honored by seeing  the inside workings of  the finest
and most feared fighting force that this  world has seen, the best  guarantee of peace that
world has. We are not at war right now and the soldiers, unless  they are in your  family,
are not particularly high on the interest  level. But they are out  there -  in the tens of
thousands. We know when they fight  in major engagements, but  sometimes they fight in
nasty little skirmishes that  the world doesn't hear  about. And sometimes they die. When
soldiers die, the United States Army honors its  dead. We didn't know  that a few weeks
ago.

On the parade ground in  Germany, the details of 1st  Sgt. Turnbull's military life were
read out by his  commanding officers and  his fellow sergeants. Mute testimony to his
service  was provided by his  highly polished combat boots, his down-facing rifle  with
bayonet mounted, his dog tags on the trigger guard, his black beret on the butt of the rifle.
There was the final roll call - four platoons singing out that they were present and
accounted for. The 5th platoon was my brother's. His name was shouted three times.
There was no answer. There was a 21-gun salute. Then the awesome finality of taps. First
Sgt. Turnbull's decorations were given to his wife and to his mother. There were many.
Wife and mother were each given United States flags, which had been draped over Bruce's
coffin. There was more, much more. There was insurance for his widow, education for his
child, moving expenses and a list of benefits that only the family and the Army will ever
know.

My brother was a soldier. He was a superb soldier, and he had the recognition of his men
and his officers and his government to prove it. But even if he had not been a superb
soldier, he was a soldier of the United States Army. I suddenly want you to know, with all
the passion of a country preacher, that our military forces take care of our country, and
our country takes care of its fighting men and women.
-Jim Turnbull

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
<S> to all the Bruce Turnbull's we will never know by name

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Memorial Day
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2001, 04:16:00 PM »
Punting it back up. Remember this isn't just an excuse for a 3 day weekend.  

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Memorial Day
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Check out "War Stories" on Fox News Network 10pm EST 5/26/01. It's a WW2 documentary.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Memorial Day
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
I would like to say thank you to the veterans, both alive and gone, who have ensured our freedom.

Thank you to those who are willing to serve in peacetime, and to those who, like 1st Sergeant Turnbull, are willing to lay their lives on the line during peacetime.

Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed by your fellow countrymen and women.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-