Author Topic: Zurich Airport  (Read 381 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:15 AM »
I need some advice,

I'm traveling to Stuggart in early November on Swissair. I have two return flight options, both involving changing planes in Zurich. One give me a little over an hour to make the connection, with a stop at passport control along the way. The other requires about 4 hours.

Is anybody familiar with Zurich Airport and the time involved to get to terminal E (to fly back tot he US)? I would really like to go with the hour shot but only if that is a reasonable amount of time to make the connection. I've seen both good and bad reviews on the Web.

Charon

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
I live close to Zurüch Airport, the expirience i have there is, it is easy
to change gates within an hour. But, flights to the states are much
, much more controlled this year, so 1 hour could be the minimum time
you should count count on. Why dont take the 4 hour wait? The Airport
have some nice restaurants :)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 01:57:17 PM »
Why dont take the 4 hour wait? The Airport
have some nice restaurants

I wouldn't mind that, but it's at the end of a long week with a long transatlantic flight ahead. I had thought about taking the train into town from the airport and having lunch there, which might add some extra value to the time.

Charon

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »
Been there but haven't changed gates. I always arrived and left from the same gate.  ;)

Big place though and security could foul you up on the 1 hour turn. A late arrival flight coupled with a slight delay could make you miss your flight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Zurich Airport
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 06:01:41 PM »
I was there three weeks ago most of the flights were late. I got to buy booze and smokes tax free, and their cappucino is pretty good. I would take the four hour wait too :)

Edit: they have a sweet camel smoking room, none of that prison looking cubicle you find in most airports, cool!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 06:03:51 PM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »
when you arrive, have some swissair swiss dood at your arrival gate call your departure gate to let them know you're on the way

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:12:14 AM »
Fly through it all the time, but don't change planes there.
You didn't say which terminal you're coming in.

Zurich terminal is sprawled out, with a center concourse that everyone shares. E is way out on one end, and they post "Travel Times" to let you know how long you'll make it to the gate. That time is usually 15-20 minutes.
Security is after passport/boarding pass control, and after the main concourse, so changing terminals will probably mean another x-ray trip. Usually when I go through this is a breeze, but I've seen it back up.

The big concern will be the "Additional Security" at the plane. Last time I flew to the US it was through AMS, and the last interview took _a long time_. The good news is, if you're in that line, you'll be on the plane.

The short answer: You can probably make it.
The long answer: well, you can, but also remember that Switzerland is right in the middle of Europe, which has probably the densest concentration of air traffic in the world. Wherever you're going, you'll need to get a slot. Perturbations in the system (=delays) have a way of multiplying. Zurich is even more complicated, because of byzantine arrangements with the Germans (who *****ed enough about aircraft descending from 10,000 feet over the black forest that the number of aircraft coming that way is limited), and the fact that most of Swiss airspace is designated as F/A-18 playground.
Of course, in November, you'll see fog and perhaps snow that can slow or stop traffic.

The concessions at ZRH are about as expensive as anywhere else in the world. There are plenty of places to watch the pretty airplanes, however. Some of those cost money though.

So here's what else it depends on:
If you miss your flight, what then? Is there another flight the same day? If the weather's bad, and they invoke the rule that says they don't have to pay your lodgings for the night, who's gonna shell it out?
How early in the morning do you need to get up for the 4-hour connection?

Oh, and be sure to call Swiss "Lufthansa South". They love that.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:20:40 AM »
Wrap 8 pounds of Play~Doh in aluminum foil and duct tape it to your body, wrap an airplane blanket around yer head and upon exiting the aircraft rush towards Security yelling "Allah Akbar".....

That will take care of the 4 hour lay over.

:D

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »
Thanks All, and thanks especially to Mac for that sage advice. In that vein I will also leave my noodle pump at home for the trip :)

It didn't seem to encouraging, so I solved the problem by going online and finding a deal that the corporate travel agency apparently doesn't promote (though they eventually booked it for me). Saved the company $100 as well. Now I fly Delta from O'Hara to Atlanta, swap planes there, then on to Stuttgart direct. Return trip is the same pattern -- nice two hour connection times in the US with no customs to worry about. Still have to deal with O'Hare though. Maybe Ill just drive to Atlanta for the first leg. Probably arrive sooner with fewer hassles.

Of course, I also now have three transatlantic flights this year on three different airlines diluting my mileage benefits.

Charon

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Zurich Airport
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:48:59 AM »
NEVAR TRAVEL WITHOUT THE noodle PUMP!!!!1111

- Stolen from SW.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:05:53 AM »
I was there no longer then a month ago. Had no problems with connection flight. Everything was done in like 30-40mins.

You should consider the flight delay tho, as if you airplane came in late, then you might possibly have a problem.

4 hours can give you some time to go downtown, or there is nice restaurant with upstairs where they have great nachos + beer ;-)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »
He bought his P3NIS Pump on eBay...cheap bastage.  It was sold twice before then.

Think about that!

Mac

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Zurich Airport
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »
Think about that!

I'd rather not :huh