Author Topic: Anti-armor mines - Mine-clearing armor  (Read 470 times)

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
Anti-armor mines - Mine-clearing armor
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
Mine fields could not be put all over the map, but limited mine fields around towns, ports and bases might be an easy-to-add threat to attacking armor. Something on the order of ack-ack, but for GVs.

In addition, mine-clearing armor could clear paths to the target.

However, plow tanks were not used in combat until D-Day in 1944, when the British 79th Armored Division employed a "Bullshorn" plow on a Churchill tank at Sword Beach.

The mine roller was first used in combat in 1940, when the Russians used it to help breach Finland's Mannerheim Line.38 The highly successful Russian Mugalev roller, which first saw action in 1942, was developed based on this experience.39

Lieutenant Colonel Colman, a South African engineer, got the idea for a mine-clearing flail when he saw a tracked vehicle drive by with a length of wire wrapped around its sprockets. The wire hit the ground hard with each revolution of the sprockets. Colman's idea was developed by Field Marshal Montgomery's 8th Army in the general headquarters workshops in August 1942. Twenty-four of these flails, called "Scorpions," were first used in combat during several British breaching efforts in the Second Battle of El Alamein.45 Eventually, the British consolidated the flail and many other specialized armored vehicles in the famous 79th Armored Division.

Mines

Mine fields could also be bombed from the air.

They could reset upon capture.

Just an idea

Best Regards

Offline mamba2

• Copper Member
      • http://home.mchsi.com/~fightclub/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:44:50 PM »
hawksaw, get me some pics of that stuff so i can see wat it would look like if it was on the terrain.:aok :noid :O :t I've heard of the last quote u had, those tanks are on "Medal Of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough" Mission 1, level 2 in north africa where you have to keep the plow tank intact so it can destroy the mines covering Rommel's key ammo stores.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:46:59 PM by mamba2 »

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »
people have alreadt asked for mines, i would support it as long as it doesnt become a new type of vulching, it could really coming in handy for base defense. BUt then again we arent seeing anything new until tod.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »
Think of mines in the sea as well ;)
As for those tanks for minecleaning the mechanism is practically the one of a muckspreader.
Here goes:

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:16:29 AM »
I vote yes, BUT, the mines must be MANUALLY DEPLOYED, so it takes about 10 seconds per-mine, BUT they can be destroyed by tank/machinegun fire, or the flailers.