Author Topic: T-34 smooth turrent 360° view.  (Read 689 times)

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
T-34 smooth turrent 360° view.
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:07:29 AM »
Hi,

imho one of the biggest disadvantages of the T-34 is the missing smooth 360° turrent view, like we have it in ALL other vehicles while sitting in a gunposition.
The T-34 is the only vehicle where its not possible to scan the full area with zoom for hidden enemys, i always need to turn the tank to get sight to a special angle, but this cost speed and time and isnt that exact at all. To look a hill upward with zoom is impossible at all. :(

Can we have a smooth 360° degree turrent view in the T-34(like the Tiger/Panzer MG position but without a gun)??

Greetings,

Knegel

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:15:45 AM »
tanks should get a new position, i know the commander fires the pintle, but maybe have a separate scope view with better zoom for finding targets.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »
I dont think our T-34 has a roof mounted MG...It was hull, like modeled, and therefor impossible to get 360'...  What we could do is re model the tank commander to have his view rotate up and down on the same axis the MG on the panzer/tiger does, without the gun....I dont see any realistic limitation 2 that....
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »
Uhh.... There already IS a position like that. It's the commander's position. It's a "gunner" position but with no gun. All the tanks have it. Try it, if the main gun is 2 and the hull gun is 3, it'll be the next one, so in a T34 it'll be 3 and in others it'll be 4. I can't remember the exact number of the slot, but I've used it dozens of times.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »
That the hull machine gun next to the driver.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Uhh.... There already IS a position like that. It's the commander's position. It's a "gunner" position but with no gun. All the tanks have it. Try it, if the main gun is 2 and the hull gun is 3, it'll be the next one, so in a T34 it'll be 3 and in others it'll be 4. I can't remember the exact number of the slot, but I've used it dozens of times.

Um, no. The T34 has a commander's position, and it is 3, but it has no pan or tilt like the tanks with an MG mounted for that position.

I think that this would be a good addition though. As a workaround, I use the mouse nub on my throttle (mapped as a mouse and the mouseview toggle), but the pan/tilt found on other tanks would be nice.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
It doesn't pan or tilt because it has no gun. What it DOES have is 360-degree field of view. A simple thumb on the hat button gives you complete view control, or even better yet use the keypad view numbers just like you're inside a plane.

I don't see the problem.

P.S. I think the other tanks also have commander positions, but nobody uses them because they'd rather use the pintle positions.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 07:05:49 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Because you are not paying attention . . .

Hat only lets you look around in 45 degree increments.  The pintle position gives a smooth field of view anywhere in between.  If you are trying to zoom-view on something at 22 degrees from your turret facing, you can't in a t-34 without changing your heading (vehicle or turret), but you can easily do so in any other vehicle from the pintle mount.  It is also more difficult to audially pinpoint an unseen moving vehicle if your "head" only moves in 45 degree increments.

Especially given the otherwise very poor fields of view from the T-34, this request makes perfect sense.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »
A simple thumb on the hat button gives you complete view control,

P.S. I think the other tanks also have commander positions, but nobody uses them because they'd rather use the pintle positions.

No, and no, again.

It's still a good idea, IMO.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:01:05 AM »
Originally posted by E25280
Because you are not paying attention . . .

Hat only lets you look around in 45 degree increments.  

F8
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 08:17:32 AM »
Hi,

yes, i know F8, but if you drive tank in a fast batle its needed to look in one sec fast to all directions without zoom, but in the next sec you need to have the smooth around view. I personally would already now like to have 18 fingers to be able to use all buttons fast, to toggle from snawview to panview by another button make me crazy. I always mess it up. Additionaly its still not the same like the perfect view while sitting in the turrent MG position of a other GV, where you can turn the view smooth(joystick X/Y axe) and look fast to all direction(snapview with headswitch) AT SAME TIME.

Tankbattles need the much faster snapviews to be able to make good close combat, while its at same time needed to be able to zoom in to any direction to identify a possible enemy.

For example in a PanzerIV i often scan the fromtline with zoom, but from time to time i snap around to see what happens around me, so i snap 45° rear and turn the view smooth to see the whole area.  Or the other way around, i drive with full speed and look around, then i get close to some trees, i need zoom to see if something is hidden inside, To toggle F8 , turn maybe 90°, then toggle zoom simply is one important command to long and in such a situation i cant snapview to my driving direction to see where i drive to!!

Imho the T-34 need this feature to be able to use its agility to its best! It must be possible to spot a enemy most early and to keep a enemy in sight and to drive fast, only then the long reload time isnt a unplayable disadvantage.

Greetings,

Knegel
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 08:20:12 AM by Knegel »