Author Topic: Rudder Control Advice  (Read 618 times)

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
Rudder Control Advice
« on: November 03, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »
I recently purchased a new flight stick to replace my fragile and failing Logitech Wingman.  I purchased a CH Fighterstick, which I consider an investment rather than a mere purchase as the cost was considerably more than the Logitech Wingman.

The Logitech Wingman had a twist action, which I used for rudder control.  I guess I was not paying attention when I purchased the CH Fighterstick, as (much like a real fighter aircraft control) it has no twist action for the rudder.  CH Products makes foot pedals to serve as the rudder control.  The foot pedals are also somewhat expensive (relatively speaking for game devices) and it will be a month or so before my wife will allow me to sink more money into game related hardware.

I am having a difficult time finding a way to control the aircraft rudder.  I have tried mapping it to one of the buttons on the flight stick, but the rudder control is too erratic.  Without good rudder control I find that I am getting shot down a lot more, as I used rudder to do maneuvering along with ailerons and so fourth.

So, for those of you that do not have a twist action flight stick and also do not use foot pedals, how do you control the aircraft rudder?

Thank you.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:18:50 PM »
Originally posted by roach

So, for those of you that do not have a twist action flight stick and also do not use foot pedals, how do you control the aircraft rudder?

Thank you.

A and D for rudder left/right, S to center rudder.

This is only make-do though... as you found out, good rudder control is essential to air to air fighting.

Pedals are the best you can do for rudder controls, theyll need some getting used to though (im saying that from rough personal experience ;))
Another option besides the twisty function of some sticks are rocker switches on some throttles. Another possibility would be mapping it to rotary, this has the disadvantage of having to center the rudder input manually though.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 04:54:20 PM »
hook your logicrap stick back up and assign only the rudder axis. and some buttons if you want. use your right hand on the good one and the left on the crappy one for rudder. just an idea.

Offline roach

• Zinc Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 12:18:16 AM »
You know what I ended up doing is something a lot like what you suggested.  I have a spare Logitech rumblepad, and I am using one of the analog sticks on it for the rudder now.  It is working out pretty good.  I appreciate that the game allows for multiple USB controllers at the same time, and such fine control over the calibration and sensitivity through the advanced options.  Very few flight combat simulations offer near this level of logical controller adjustment.  

Perhaps down the road I will invest in the CH peddles.  But for now, I think what I am doing, basically pretty much like you suggested money, is working exemplary.

What I would find interesting is the results of a survey, of the best AH2 sticks, on what their controller arrangement is, including rudder.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone that responded.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:21:30 AM by roach »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 06:37:14 AM »
<-- not in the "best AH2 sticks" category, but my set-up is:

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick (twist rudder)

Saitek X52 Throttle. I found the joystick too "mushy" and sidelined it.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
What I would find interesting is the results of a survey, of the best AH2 sticks, on what their controller arrangement is, including rudder.

Wait until the wife allows the purchase of the CH USB rudder pedals.  You'll love 'em.

Give her the link to this site, tell her to order now in time for Thanksgiving:  

http://www.provantage.com/ch~110CHPU.htm

Or search around, you might be able to find a better price, but I never could.

- oldman

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
Tell your wife that it would make an excellent Chritmas Gift! ;)

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »
Check out this thread...could be an idea:confused: :aok http://www.flyaceshigh.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191154
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Rudder Control Advice
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »
You know what I ended up doing is something a lot like what you suggested.  I have a spare Logitech rumblepad, and I am using one of the analog sticks on it for the rudder now.  

Spare joysticks work great for lots of things; I have a broken logitech on the floor that works as a "gas pedal", I move the slider up/dn with my toe. It also has 6 buttons on the base I use to drop gear, give others a ck 6, talk on range and bring up the clipboard.